Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

adequate scope for new ML

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default adequate scope for new ML

I just moved to Indiana from the west coast and am looking to hunt deer next year. I picked up a T/C Omega Z5 after numerous recommendations, and now I am looking for a scope to put on it. Funds are limited (isn't that always the case?) and so I was debating between a fixed 4x, or a 3-9 variable.For the same money I could get a better scope with the fixed, fewer things to go wrong, and I know I won't be taking a shot over 150yds. Any advice? I was looking at a nikon buckmaster if I go the 4x route, and probably something not quite so nice if I go with the 3-9. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: adequate scope for new ML

Several have purchased the Nikon ProStaff 2x7 and I've yet to hear/read anything but praise for the scope.

U29654
PROSTAFF 2-7X32 SHOTGUN MATTE
MAX
$112.69

That's at http://www.ultout.com/nikon-optics.htm

It's shorter than either of the BuckMaster models you mention and offers good eye-relief. Should be plenty of scope for your rifle. Be sure to buy good mounts.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Several have purchased the Nikon ProStaff 2x7 and I've yet to hear/read anything but praise for the scope.

U29654
PROSTAFF 2-7X32 SHOTGUN MATTE
MAX
$112.69

That's at http://www.ultout.com/nikon-optics.htm

It's shorter than either of the BuckMaster models you mention and offers good eye-relief. Should be plenty of scope for your rifle. Be sure to buy good mounts.

+1, I have two, one on my muzzleloader and one on my slug gun. I plan on getting another after the season.....maybe there will be some year end sales. Keep your eyes open.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I also recommend the nikon prostaff. My Wolf came with a Bushnell 3-9x scope. Note a bad little scope but all my others are nikon.

1 question for you. Why wait til next year if our firearms season doesn't start til november 17th and black powder doesn't start til I beleive december 8th?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I have two of the Pro Staff on inlines and one Buckmaster 1X power. All Nikons are great scopes.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

My CVA Staghorn has a 4X Nikon ProStaff:That is also a very good low light scope.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I've got the Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32 on my Omega and i love it. Great scope.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

dr. bullseye

Guess it is up to me to go the other way again... I really prefer the Bushnell Elite 3200's - 3x9x40 with a ballistic reticlule. Thet have a fast focus eye-ring and rainguard lens - i very seldon use scope cover at all anymore...

From Scopes 'n more - you can get the regular dual X for 179 and the ballistic reticule for $235?

Really good scopes....
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM

I use a Tasco Bantam scope and it holds up nicely.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

well to me it makes sense to consider what would be best for hunting, I consider a 3X9 and a 4X12 as more target than hunting I want a scope that will give me an advantage by making things brighter when I have to take a shot in low light. If you go to the trouble to check the lum. # on different scopes you will find that the bigger the front lens is in ratio to the power the brighter it will be.
SO I use a 1.5X4X32 or a 2X7X40 usually a Bushnell or Swift it works quite well for me, and I will still shoot groups with anybody. Lee

Quick Reply: adequate scope for new ML

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.