Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It finally happened

Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default It finally happened

....and it wasn't good, lol. I was in my stand this morning for opening of ML season. Before shooting light a doe walked within about 10 feet of my stand. No shot. Then, about 8:15 two doe were in front of me, about 25 yds. I clicked my safety off, put the crosshairs on her chest and......pop, not BAM. My cap went off but no powder lit. She didn't get all that spooked, just turned around and slowly walked off. I re-primed and shot to see if the gun would go off and it did. I loaded the gun last night, set it on the porch overnight and took it with me this morning. It was very foggy and a lot of moisture in the air so that must have done it, I don't know. Should I have kept it in the house like usual? I thought I had read something about taking it from a warm house to a cold outside OR was it don't take it from cold outside to warm inside? Anyway, I fired it off after the morning hunt and it shot fine. Ended up seeing a nice buck but in too thick of cover for a shot plus couldn't get him to stop. Anyway, a nice day in the stand. Plan on being there in the morning too. See ya, Greg
Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: It finally happened

gt2003

There are several things that may have cused your problem... My White has been loaded since Oct 9 and i would be the bank it will go off.

Did you fire a couple of caps/primers off before you loaded the gun to clear the flash chanel? Was it a fowled bore or a bore that had been cleaned - better way to put that question had the gun been fired since it was cleaned last?

I beleive the biggest problem arises when you bring a really cold gun from outside to a warm inside. I have never had a problem going the other way.

Cayugad and i did some experimenting with this problem last winter, can not remember the title of the thread but if you would like to see the results let me know and i will look it up...

Hope you get it figured out...

mike
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

When it is wet/foggy/muggy...Clean and load every day...This is the only way that works all the time....

You can get buy not doing this when it's cold and dry, not so with the rains we have had in NC the past couple of days...
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! what excitment. I had inlines do the same thing. I had traditionals do the same thing. Sabotloader and I ran rifles through different elements and then tested them to see if we could get them to misfire. If I remember, Sabotloader was much better at this then I was. His always went off. I sometimes wonder if the place you live makes a big difference too. Like this morning, the fog over the lawn and in the woods was so thick, I would have been concerned if I had been hunting also.

I personally clean and load my rifle every day of deer season. I know this is a PITA for some, but then when I start out the next day with a fresh rifle I am 99% sure that the rifle will go off. Although today I thought I did it all right at the range and the rifle misfired also. You just never know sometimes what these rifles will do.

Better luck next time.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! My gun is empty right now and I'm going to load it once I get in my tree tomorrow. I'll probably run a dry patch down it also and might even consider firing a cap to make sure the nipple is dry and clear. We'll see what happens. Full moon but the deer were moving pretty good. Hopefully they'll move well in the morning too. Good luck all, Greg
Old 10-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is some thing I suppose every one has developed or had taught a way, it sounds like mine might be just a little different, it was taught to me by my Grandfather who still had muzzleloaders.
Take boiling water and clean every thing so no dirtor oil remains let cool after reassmbling till its just good and warm but completely dry, load after loading run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel to the top of the load the use it to wipe down the out side of the gun. It gets fairly cold in northern IL. and according to his ideas you do not oil the action of any gun when its cold. He taught me to wipe the threads on breach plug and nipple with bees waxand use a bit of bees wax in the mixture [certain herbs and a bit of coon grease that we made for our Patches [ around the ball] I never had one loaded for hunting like this fail.
one of the things that concerns me about inlines is the fact that the sabot dont seal moisture out so I put a finger cot or some ballons I got a hold of that are just the right size and put some bees wax around the 209 in all weather so it can not draw moisture, so far so good. Lee
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I was thinking right before I pulled the trigger, Wow, gonna have deer meat in the freezer already. Guess I put the cart before the horse. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Cya, Greg
Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Yelp Fog got me one time on a hunt.I didn't bring in cold to Hot,it was just Foggy.

big rockpile
Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 PM

Why you'd put it on your porch is beyond me. Everytime i go hunting, that rifles either stays inside the truck or comes into the tent with me. Theres no reason to leave it in open weather like that.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

It won't happen again, hehehe. Thanks, Greg

Quick Reply: It finally happened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.