Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help guys

Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need some help guys

Last year I bought my Wolf ML and hunted the entire season using 295gr. Powerbelts and 150gr. pyrodex pellets. Thats what the guy at the store recommended. I killed two deer at unbelievible ranges with but it kicked like a mule. This year I've decided to go with 100 gr. not sure if I'm gonna use Shockey or Pyrodex and been usin TC Cheap Shots (240gr) also got someTC Mag Express Sabots XTPs (also 240gr). Well I spent two hours at the range this morning and couldn't get the darn thing to shoot a consistent group. Now, I was shooting with the rifle resting on blankets and a pillow on a table because I couldn't find a bench rest that I could really lock the rifle into place with. I was gettin about 5 inch groups at 75yds. I went to my local gun store and the guys in there suggested 3 things: 1. use a bench rest that will hold the thing in place 2. Clean it after every shot instead of after every 3rd or 4th. 3. Check the scope to make sure its tight. I've checked the scope. Its tight. Found my bench rest. and have plenty of cleaning patches. Weather conditions were sunny.
Anyone else, cayugad this is mainly directed at you, have any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need some help guys

Swab between each shot. With powerbelts and conicals, they are more forgiving for swabbing while still giving good accuracy. Sabots tend to shoot better when swabbed after each or every other shot. So I would swab between shots. Try 80 grains of Pyrodex RS powder and the 240 grain XTP's. Then work your load up from there. It should tune in around 85-100 grains. Swab between shots and be sure to run some dry patches down the bore before loading the next load. See how well that works for you.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

One more thing, if you were shooting such heavy loads there might be some plastic in the bore that you did not get out. Are you sure that you really cleaned the barrel and got any plastic left from the sabots? It will really screw up your shooting if there is plastic in the bore. I would try some plastic solvent cleaner and a stiff brush. Also check your stock for cracks or any loose areas that might have come from the heavy recoil.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Indy, Hang in there. What are your usual shot distances? I doubt 150 grains is warranted and you will likely get a better group and far less recoil out of less powder and a much lighter bullet. The majority of my shots are 50 yds or less.I used to shoot 90 grains of pyrodex rs and a 300 grain bullet. IT KICKED LIKE A MULE. Year before last, I switched to 80 grains of 777 powder and a 220 grain precision rifle all lead bullet. The recoil is much, much less and the all lead bullet expands great and has killed everything I have shot with it. Much better than the 300 grain jacketedbullet I used to use. After each shot, I will wet a patch with spit (place it on my tongue and press my tongue to the roof of my mouth to wet it), run it down my barrel on one side, flip it over and run it down on the other side. Then, I will get a dry patch and run it down on one side then flip it over and use the other side to get all the moisture out that I can. My POI seems to be very consistent using this method. One tip I picked up yesterday. Be sure to hold your rifle like you would in the field while sighting in. If you don'tyou will get flyers from the unrestrained barrel. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Thanks, Greg
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scrub your barrel out with something like CVA plastic solvent and a brass brush check the stock and the mounting screws both to the barrel from the stock and to the scope from the barrel. also run the powder ladder if that does not do it then your barrel dont like that bullet try buying some Shock Waves.
You did not tell us what sabot you are using or how they fit, they work on a different basies than PB's they should be considerably tighter. Lee
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Ok. Stock and every thing looks good. Free from any breakage or cracks. Usually when I do my final cleaning for the year I'll use a wire brush attachment from my cleaning kit and also black powder solvent. Then use a lubed patch to treat the inside of the barrel. For cleaning after shooting I'll usually do the same, just not use the lubed patch. I'm actually hunting in a different part of the state this year because I've moved. I'm hunting with family and they've told me 50-75yds is about the average shot. I figured I'd go ahead and sight in at 75yds and then see how high I am at 50 and how low I am at 100. I'm gonna go tomorrow and try the 80 gr. RS and the XTPs. I'll let yall know how it is tomorrow night.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 PM

I'd have a smith put on a limbsaver recoil pad and then buy some 385 grain hornady great plains conicals. 80 to 90 grains of pyrodex rs or pyrodex p would be a good starting place.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Ok guys. This morning I went out and used 80gr of the RS Powder and the 240 XTP sabot bullets. I was able to get three inch groups on target from a bench. I'm alittle frustrated I can't get the same groups I was getting last year or like the 1.5" groups I was getting with my father's optima. The thing is though I set out 10 milk jugs that I had been saving with marks sized about the same size as the kill zone on my archery target. I put the heart area in the circular indintation in the center of the jug. I had 8 out of 10 "heart shots" free hand and the other two would have still been kill shots. I'm still gonna try afew more things with it but I think it will be good enough for now. Thanks for all the help.

Oh yeah. I don't have a digital camera or else I'd post pictures of the milk jugs.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it sounds like you are about set.. nice shooting. Try kicking the powder charge up 10 grains on the next shoot..
Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ok yall. Here's what I've done. Wednesday I went to the range and sited my wolf in further. Got it to shoot 1" groups with 90 gr. of Pyrodex and a 240 xtp bullet at 75yds. Finally scoped out where exactly I'm gonna be hunting. Farthest shot is going to be around 80 yds and the closests will probably be around 40 yds.. So we went to the range after scouting. Took five shots of each of the following combos from a bench just to see what they would do at 50yds. Wound up getting the best and most consistent groups with 90 grains of American Pioneer FFG and the TC cheap shot 240 gr. Then kept shooting but moved out to 75 yds. I was 1" HIGH at 50yds and about 1/4" high at 75 yds. I figured I would just leave it for now and use that for hunting. Figured that would be adaquate.

Powder Load Bullet
1. 80 gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. xtp
2. 90 gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. xtp
3. 100gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. xtp
4. 80 gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. TC Cheap Shot
5. 90 gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. TC Cheap Shot
6. 100 gr. Pyrodex RS 240 gr. TC Cheap Shot
7. 80 gr. American Pioneer FFG 240 gr. xtp
8. 90 gr. American Pioneer FFG 240 gr. xtp
9. 100 gr. American Pioneer FFG 240 gr. xtp
10. 80 gr. American Pioneer FFG 240 gr. TC Cheap Shot
11. 90 gr. American Pioneer FFG 240 gr. TC Cheap Shot