Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some updates.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some updates.

On an earlier post on Variflames and 25ACP BP's I mentioned I was modifying a BP for the 25ACP set up. After boring out the BP to the correct size and, since I could not find and new brass locally, making a resizing die from a 7/8x14 bolt to properly size the used brass I did find, I was able to test the BP in my Magbolt. I chose to test it in the MB due to it not being one of the guns it was suppose to work in. Well it does work in it and the primer has a nice dimple in it just like it should. My next test will be in my kids Optima and Apex, which it should work just fine in. So far I have only had to purchase the 7/8" bolt, 25ACP case holder for my press, 25ACP case holder for my autoprime, a 22 cal hand deprimerand the used brass. I bought about 230 once fired brass for around $13 and that was the largest expense of the $28 or so that I have in this project. Now I need some range time to do some comparisons of the original 209 and modified 25ACP BP's. I also need to finish getting ready for my elk hunt which starts in about 8 weeks. So much to do, so little time.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Some updates.

Good luck on your elk hunt... I hope everything works well for you.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some updates.

Thanks Dave.

I got a chance to check the plug in the Apex tonight and It worked perfectly, after I made the plug .010 deeper. The action just closes with the 25 brass in the plug. The optima's BP is set up just like the Apex so I'm sure it will work with it also. Now I need some range time.