Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bighorn has a healthy appetite

Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bighorn has a healthy appetite

Shot the bighorn again today. Shots were all over again. Cayuga had mentioned a knight h owned that was a powder hog so instead of quitting I upped the powder charge to 100 grains of loose 777 ffg. It was like magic. One heck of a recoil but my shots were in the bullseye and grouped nicely. I feel a lot more confident in the gun now. Thanks a lot to everybody who was giving me tips, especially Cayuga who has taken a lot of time to steer me in the right direction.
Art
Old 10-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Default RE: Bighorn has a healthy appetite

Have a Limbsaver recoil put on. Its a dream come true when shooting heavy charges.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I am glad to hear you found a good load. Those Bighorns are good rifles. They will last you a life time, and do anything you need done... That 100 grain load will hunt about anything you want to hunt at any distance you are able to place them..
Old 10-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

I am glad you were able to get a load that will do the job for you. The 100 grain load has been a standard for me when shooting a quality inline. Recently I have stepped that up to 110 grains, basically because the White handled that load so well through a wide range of different sabot/projectile combinations. Following this lead I went back and worked the Remingtons and the Omega with 110 and they all responded equally well.

Recoil is not a significant problem for me because it really does seem less than my 300 win mag and I KNOW it is less than a 12 guage turkey load.

FG thought about the Limb-saver is certainly an option, if you are looking at that thought take a look a the new Kick-Eex "Sorbothane" recoil pads. The materal is really absorbant and comfortable... I use them basically to increase the length of pull but the absorbtion of recoil is a nice bonus.