Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Iowa muzzleloader season starts this Saturday

Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Iowa muzzleloader season starts this Saturday

This will be my first season with my new Omega. I will be shooting shockwave 250 gr. with 115 grains of T7. I have figured out how to post pictures and will post the entry/exit wound if it exists and show the bullet if it can be recovered.

I have only shot powerbelt bullets out of my CVA, and am anxious to see how they perform in the hunting field.

If anyone else is hunting Iowa I would like to know how it is going because I am not seeing as many deer as I usually do.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Iowa muzzleloader season starts this Saturday

Good luck with your hunting season... be watching for the hunt pictures.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Iowa muzzleloader season starts this Saturday

Not sure about Iowa but where I hunt here in Missouri, our acorn crops are down due to the dry spring and summer. I have seen deer, mostly does in the early morning hours. We just reached the low 40s at night and are in the mid 60s in the day. This should jumpstart the movement activities. If you can I would hunt the fields with any freshly harvested food type, soybeans, corn, etc in the morning. I have seen a lot of deer in the past years hit those early, If I can't make the early hunt I hunt the same areas toward the last hour of legal shooting time and they usually come back but you must be quiet abd scentfree or forget about it.I shoot the same bullet with 100grs of Pyro Pellets and I'm getting 1800fps and it's deadly out to 100yds. My guess you should be good out to 150yds since you are using T7 and a little more powder. Goodluck