Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loads for Bighorn

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Loads for Bighorn

Careful - you will getbig discussion going about how important it is to really clean a new gun before shooting... which they will be right on.
Now ya' went and done it.

Here are the instructions that come with a new Lyman rifle.

The barrel's bore contains a heavy duty preservative that may resemble rusty oil. It is not rust! This preservative must be thoroughly removed before firing to obtain maximum accuracy.

Directions:

A. Swab the bore with some form of solvent or penetrating oil (example: WD-40 or Hoppe's #9). Let soak overnight.

B. Brush out the following day using a nylon brush wrapped with 00 steel wool or a brass brush (must be under bore diameter to prevent bristles from jamming at the breech of the barrel).

C. Wipe out using soft flannel (avoid t-shirt material-it doesn't work wellusing cleaning jag and has a tendency to stay down the bore). The brass coloration you see is normal after cleaning.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Loads for Bighorn

I would not say it is a floating barrel. I will give it a whirl again this weekend.
Art