Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

UC Short Conical Modified

Old 10-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default UC Short Conical Modified

I some of you know, a few of us purchased custom LEE molds to make conicals. Mine throws a .505 diameter conical that I then size down to .504 and it weighs in at 447 grains. These are for the White Rifles. The other day I was shooting .503 conicals out of my Green Mountain fast twist 1:28 barrel and noticed.. while accurate, they were short starter necessary to load. I wanted them to be easy to load, with out the short starter.

So I casted up a number of the UC Short Conicals and after reducing them to .504, I then reduced them down to .501 diameter. I applied a heavy stiff lube to them and let them dry. Today I tried them in my GMB and using 80 grains of Triple Se7en with the 1X T/C scope on the rifle, shooting at a 6" paper plate you serve cake on at parties, shot this 12 or 13 shot group (I stopped marking them after10)without swabbing the barrel.

They loaded like a dream. Maybe a little too loose for some people, but the more I shot the better they felt in the barrel. No short starter needed, no swabbing, and the accuracy was excellent at 50 yards on the white paper plate. Granted it was not a 1" group at 50 yards like some of you shoot, but for me with the 1X scope, that's a dead deer.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and shot some 300 grain (standard run of the mill) Shockwaves. I was shooting 110 grains of Graf's 2f black powder. I also was swabbing between shots very carefully. The first five shots were amazing to me to say the least. So to risk fate, I did not swab and shot #6. While still in the area, and I was not unhappy, since it loaded very nice, it did blow the main group a little. Over all I am ready for deer season.. Now to decide what rifle and bullet to shoot...
Old 10-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UC Short Conical Modified

I just sized 50 for my step-son yesterday, also to .501 so he could shoot them from his Optima (ssshhhhh!). He'll be using a max of about 75 grains vol of powder so don't think they will give him any trouble.He will have to give them some thumb pressure to get them started into the rifling but I think they'll work fine.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Spike

can't believe ya didn't let him borrow a white
Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

[:-] Dave
Maybe you just need to throw 7 or 8 guns in a wheel barrow, go to the blind close your eyes grab one and use that one for and hour than change off. If you change gun batches every day you should get through all of your guns by seasons end. I sure wish I had you problems deciding I only have 5 to choose from.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Cayugad, are those UC's flat base or hollow base? If they're flat base, do you use a wad under them? (Man, I just had a deja vu moment. Have I asked this before?)
Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey Cayugad, are those UC's flat base or hollow base? If they're flat base, do you use a wad under them? (Man, I just had a deja vu moment. Have I asked this before?)
These are from the same mold the UC uses. They are flat based. I do not use a wad. After shooting that group.I then shot a group with some new wads and sprayed the whole target. And I do mean sprayed. No consistancy at all.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Redpep, NOBODY borrows my Whites. I did give him that Optima nearly two years ago. He shot it for the first time today. I had put a scope on it and bore-sighted it but never fired it (you wouldn't expect ME to shoot one of those blow-apart barrels would ya? ). He said it was well in the paper and not far off the bull for his first shot at 50 yards. His 12 year old step-son shot it twice - and loved it. Maybe they will both enjoy it enough to get seriously involved.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Way ta go UC, give the blow apart barrel to the step-son and his step-son.