Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Great opening day!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Great opening day!

It is zeroed in 2" high at 50 yards. As I said, I held the crosshairs right at the top of her back. A big thanks to sabot loader for all the help.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bigtimer

It is zeroed in 2" high at 50 yards
With that zero - it should put you about 2.75" high @ 100 - about 1.5" high @ 125 - near zero @ 150 and @ 175 down about 4"

The 2" lift @ 50 or 2.75" @ 100 give you a 0 @ 145 and a max range of 178 yards.

Looking at the wound it looks like you were pretty close to that trajectory.

I hope that is about your max range with that setup - the bullet will perform farther out than that but it will require you to compute some Kentuk'elevation in the formula unless you a have a scope with a Ballistic Reticule or a Mil -Dot reticule...

Again congrats - I feel good about your success there -clear out here in Idaho...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I've been hunting all my life and that had to have been the best shot that I've ever made. I struggled with the decision weather or not to take such a long shot, but after shooting as much as I have all week, I felt confident that I could do my part and extremely impressed with the performance with the Nosler. I hear a lot of complaints about cost of Noslers but if my calculations are correct, it costs me $1.35 per shot. I think that's reasonable for an accurate hunting load but wouldn't consider "plinkin" with.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

after shooting as much as I have all week, I felt confident that I could do my part
You've got it exactly right Bigtimer. From my experience, only about 10% of ML hunters shoot enough to have that level of confidence. The other 90% are the ones who take three sight-in shots at 50 yardsjust before the seasonand hope for the best. Those guys miss/wound/lose a lot of deer.

You've got your meat. Congratulations!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

I listened to a guy at the range coaching his friend on how to shoot a muzzleloader. I couldn't believe my ears. This guy told his buddy that " if you can hit a pie plate at 50 yards, that is perfectly acceptable. When the range was cleared and I retrieved my target, his jaw could have dropped to the ground. I heard him tell his buddy that I was shooting a custom built muzzleloader and I informed him that there was nothing custom about the gun and told him that it came from Cabela's. He really had a hard time accepting what I had told him because he was shooting a very expensive gun and the load that the manufacture recommended. I told him that he needed to shoot the load that his ML wanted and began to explain. I told him about this website and hope that he'll visit us and learn more. There's no replacement for confidence. Thanks for all that you guys have taught me over the last couple of months.

Thanks and God Bless you all,