Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Variflame adapters and 25acp?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Variflame adapters and 25acp?

I also went with the VariFlame adapters. I haven't made it to the range to try them out though. I would have liked to go with the 25 acp breech plug, but money is an issue.I'm sure the variflames will work okay though. Maybe not as clean as the 25 breech plug, but still better than the regular 209's.I don't shoot a whole lot so I went the cheaper way. I did it because I heard it may increase accuracy.

chris
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any chance one of you guys with the 25 conversion couldpost a few pictures at different angles of the BP. I am considering modifying an extra BP I have but would like to see how the internal part where the case fits is set up. Thanks in advance for any help with that.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's one.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Semisane, I saw that one at the link you provided. What I would like to see though is a picture without the brass, just the BP. Do you have any like that?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have one like that, but all you would see is a hole the same diameter as the 25 ACP case and deep enough to seat the case as far in as you want it to go.

The bottom of the hole has a slight taper that matches the taper on the point of the drill bit used to drill the hole - or you can make the bottom flat by finishing it with a bottoming bit.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is basically what I wanted to know, thanks.

My thoughts on modifying my BP was to bore/drill the hole to the diameter of the 25ACP case similar to what you have done.Then drill and tap the hole a bit more but a smaller size and put an inner hollow stem about .040" smaller in diameter than the outer hole to help direct the flame directly to the powder. I wouldrecess a high temp O-ring on the top of the stem to seal against the inside of the case headto helpkeep things cleaner. What do you think of that idea? Am I trying to make it too complicated?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I thought about putting some kind of stem in there that would go up into the 25 ACP case. But after shooting another 25 shots Saturday with the new plug in my Mustang, I just don't think it's worth the effort for the little that may be gained - and the plug would probably be a lot harder to clean.

After twenty shots with various loads of T-7 and five shots with JSGthe plug unscrewed as though I had just put it in. So little fouling in the breech area that Ijust wiped it off with a paper towel dampened with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine, then a little light oil. Cleaned the plug and barrel real well, followed by a light coat of oil - done.

The only thing I do want to try is that teflon tape method some NUT is touting these days.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I did get less of a crud ring than with any of the 209s that I have tried. There was a little crud but it came out much easier. The best part is the breech area, very clean, and no black on scope. I seemed to have a little better accuracy also.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I’ve been using the VariFlame system all summer and this past Saturday I took my cow elk and the system worked flawlessly and it is much easier to prime (load) than the .25 ACP. The tool that is provided is very easy to use and I can load all 10-primer cups in less than 3 mins. I use the small rifle primers and it is a very good choice to use with my Encore, 3x50 grain Pyrodex pellets and 250-grain bullet. I don’t need a Lee hand loader or a hammer to load or un-prime the primer cups. Just my opinion but I don’t think you could go wrong with the VariFlame system.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

On my way home last night I stopped by one of the gun shops and checked to see if they had any 25ACP brass. The only thing they had was 18 peices of once fired so I bought those to have a refrence. I got out my loading info and found the 25's OD spec is .278", the brass I bought was .281". I guess I will need a full length sizing die to make it work or just buy new brass. This brings up a question, how much expansion of the brass do you guys getwhen used in the modified breach plugs?

I'm going to check a few more shops locally to see if any have the new brass in stock. I did go ahead and check the over all length of my extra BP with a 209 in it and found that I needed to drill just over .500 deep to put the 25 brass in the same place. I set up the drill press as Semisane described and modified the BP in less than 5 minutes. Now I just need brass to test it. It was a very easy modification using tools I already have for reloading (calipers) and in my shop (drill bitsand drill press).It could probably be done with a hand held drill but I have a drill press so I used that to keep things better aligned.

I will report back when I get some brass and some time to test it.

Quick Reply: Variflame adapters and 25acp?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.