Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

range report - traditions pursuit pro

Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: range report - traditions pursuit pro

River Rat

You the first primer you shoot to clear the BP also blows away the tape, but most of the time there is always a small hole anyway. The first shot with powder & projectile pushes most of the tape back up and into the edges of the Breech plug to create a great seal. If there is a spot that gases might escape the tape is blow back into there. This is my theory anyway... I can shot several shots ( i have shot up 40 and never worried about the BP - last week I shot 20+ shots through the White and the BP came loose with a 1/4" socket and ratchet)

He is another picture of the Remington BP taped and removed - The Remington is the only gun I have that the tape remains on the BP when you remove it - others the tape remains on the barrel threads... Again I want to throw the caution out - what works for me may not work for you so if you choose to try this - follow cayugad suggestion to loosen and re-snug after 10 shots. If it works for you you are better off just to leave it alone.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Well I took the Apex out today and shot 50 yards to make sure I was still on. The first shot 2" high just like it is suppose to be. Then went ahead and moved out to 150 yards and it is all over the place. I know I was holding steady yet I am thinking that it might be the Tripple seven powder. I tried 250 Hornady SST and 300 Hornady SST. The 300's shot a little better but I am thinking that I might want to try a different powder. I did try the tape on the threads and it seemed to help on the blow back and pressure a little. It is just frustrating to shoot so well at 100 and 50 and then at 150 it starts to move all over the place. I could hit a paper plate at 150 but I would like to make my groups a little better. I am planning on messing with my stock here soon just haven't got that far.

Man I really like all this ML talk on here I have found some really neat ideas that has helped. Thanks for your talk and input. Keep it coming.

Good Luck

River Rat
Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM

More than likely is triple 7, i shot 4 shots today with triple 7 and i too was all over the friggen target. Switched to goex and i was back into getting groups. 200 yards with open sights on a sidelock is pretty damn fun lol.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM

I've been using some Anti Sieze that we use for work "Auto Mechanic/Tech" & so far it seams to work in my Traditions Yukon but I think I may try the Teflon Tape next time...

My Yukon came with the cheap plastic cights as well, & I bought the Tru Glo Sights from Cabelas & may be installing them soon "or may wait till after the season is over..