Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Great Morning in the Rock Pit

Old 10-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great Morning in the Rock Pit

But nothing to show for it!

The 10th is coming quickly and still not ready to go... but this morning I thought I would run out and shoot a little bit. Trying very hard to avoid Seminsane's rules - I decided to take the Tikka out and make sure it would be ready if I decided to use it on a special hunt in December, but then I also thought I would take the White as a second gun and something else to shoot.

With the 300 Win Mag - didn't see much use in setting targets @ 100 so I walked around to the upper level of the pit and set out7 pigeons from 125 yards to 150 yards. Loaded up 3 rounds in the 300 popped the first one @ 125 so I moved to the 150 pop bang... one more shot so I took the one @ 130 pop bang... 3 shots 3 broken targets in less than 2 minutes.... BORING. Did not even set up the bench just laid a blanket on the hood of the pich-up and shot across it.

So I decided to go to the White - sense the rules would apply now sense I did not take the White as the initial shooter and I was not setting up to shoot a great target just having fun. I had decided that 3 shots from the White was the max I was going to shoot, even though there was still4 targets out there,that would have the barrel and BPlug set for hunting season.

Popped a couple of primers and dry pushed in and out a Windex patch, and then a dry patch. That took 5 minutes longer than and more enjoyable than 2 minutes of shooting the mag.

Loaded up the first round - 110 grains T7-2f, .452/250 grain Gold Dot in a MMP HPH12 - ignited with a Win T7 primer ( I am saving my Remington 209-4's for hunting season).

Picked the 2nd 125 yard target and MISSED - I was just over the top - but the bullet hit where I was aiming - I thought I was allowing for drop... Got the range finder out the target was @ 124 yards but it was up 11 degrees from the hood of the truck. Loaded up the second round - held right on - bang-pop -> target gone. 3 targets left -> loaded up my 3rd and last round and decided to take the 150 yard target. This time I lasered it first 148 yards + 13 degrees... now to the learnered shooter this is suppose to mean something to me... I decided heck what worked last time will work again - held right on the target - pop/bang gone. I really was feeling good about these shots, even the first shot which would have been a kill shot on a big game animal. Walked to the back of the truck and on the walk back I could see those last two targets waaay up there in the rocks..... one more shot will not matter right? ok - load up measure target @ 132 yards + 11 degrees. Dang - I mean bang and the pigeon was gone - I mean I could not even see any pieces.... walk back to the tailgate of the pick up and you know there is no way I can walk away from that last bird...

Anyway like I said NOTHING I can show you guys - I left everything in the rock pit.... Gees! it was a fun outing... Sorry you missed it c-dad- NOT!

Got home ran three windex patches a dry patch and one final windex patch a couple of dry patches then a Slip 2000 patch with very little lube on it then 2 dry patches... it will stay that way until and through hunting season.... I am ready, well as far as the gun is concerned - nothing else is ready but the Whiteis..
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great Morning in the Rock Pit

Good shooting. Lee
Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like an excellent day at the range.. good shooting.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't you miss the spitting, cursing, and bleeding you have surely encountered with other muzzleloaders?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

ifn ur talken to me - eze got goodns (ML's)- i doant do none of dat dar stuff...

eye hav AFLAC... pays when u caint work...
Old 10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read your post earlier and it inspired me to head to the range instead of chasing deer with them pointy little sticks this evening.
Too dang hot to hunt deer, and almost too hot to enjoy shooting the muzzleloader, but the key word in that statement is almost. Actually shooting the muzzleloader is always fun. Forces a person to slow down and enjoy life!
BTW - A hunting buddy had his Rem. 300 Win Mag at the range last week. That cartridge sure takes the excitement out of trying to shoot good groups. One ragged hole at 100 yards. A very accurate round for sure!
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

wabi

I hate the heat when hunting... We have a terrible yellow jacket problem and in the heat you never know who is going to get more meat the yellow jackets or yourself...

BTW - A hunting buddy had his Rem. 300 Win Mag at the range last week. That cartridge sure takes the excitement out of trying to shoot good groups. One ragged hole at 100 yards. A very accurate round for sure!
Amen! - shooting my 300this morning was just no challenge at all - bang/flop run another shell in repeat the process....

Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you when it isn't fun... when it's 90º and 98% humidity and your first shot results in a 209 stuck so bad you have to disassemble your rifle and use pliers to get the thing out. Then the second and subsequent shots are just as bad... $#%$ Lot's of expletives that day.

Wanna guess why I don't like the White Thunderblot?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Coming from here in Idaho to something like that "when it's 90º and 98% humidit" No way I could survice let alone worry about a stuck 209.. That sounds miserable...
Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAD to go shooting that day. Danged if I'm doing that again with any rifle. Shortly after was when I learned those few of us early owners were to solve the rifles problems. I solved two and thus far have heard of nobody being killedbya Thunderblot at least.

When you pay $600+ dollars for a rifle, you don't anticipate being a pre-production tester on a rifle already in production. It's the kind of scenario you might expect to encounter if a bead salesman was running the company. [:@]

Chit! Ah'z steel cussin'.

Quick Reply: Great Morning in the Rock Pit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.