Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What to carry in possibles bag?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What to carry in possibles bag?

I leave tomarrow and was getting my possibles bag ready so I thought I would ask what your guys think. Here is what I have in my possibles bag for muzzleloading supplies:
[ul][*]10 Balls[*]10 Wads[*]10 Shooting Patches[*]Capper[*]Nipple Pick[*]Short Starter[/ul]
I probably dont need 10 shots but it never hurts to have extra if we get stranded or something. I might only take 5 extra shots. Im not sure. I will also have my powder horn to. Anything else? I do not plan on cleaning in the field.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What to carry in possibles bag?

I'd add half a dozen extra caps in a small waterproof container - maybe with a little cotton to keep them from ratteling. It may be unlikely, but that capper could get lost or wet.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM

Nipple wrench.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I leave tomarrow and was getting my possibles bag ready so I thought I would ask what your guys think. Here is what I have in my possibles bag for muzzleloading supplies:
[ul][*]10 Balls[*]10 Wads[*]10 Shooting Patches[*]Capper[*]Nipple Pick[*]Short Starter[/ul]

I probably dont need 10 shots but it never hurts to have extra if we get stranded or something. I might only take 5 extra shots. Im not sure. I will also have my powder horn to. Anything else? I do not plan on cleaning in the field.
A #11 empty cap tin filled with conical lube. Some patches for cleaning. A small bottle of isopropyl alcohol. A ball puller. A cleaning jag. A powder measure. A nipple wrench. A screw driver. Always take twice as many patches, caps, and patches as you think you might need. If you drop some when excited and loading, they are long gone. So make sure you have more then enough. Also in case you run into someone that needs a few. If you do not want to carry a powder horn then have pre measured speed loader tubes.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really dont plan on cleaning in the field. My patches are pre-lubed so I will not need to take lube. I did throw my load discharger in though and I think my nipple wrench.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 PM

You can always take an #11 tin can and put extra patches in that. Its small enough and wont take up much room.

Sounds like you are trying to keep things simple and light weight. I was the same way this hunting season
4 extra speed loaders in my jacket pocket and i was set.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Powder measure.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a couple of hunts ruined because of rain and not being prepared. I use those rubbers that go over the muzzle, or you can use electricle tape, a balloon or my favorite, a couple of pieces of saran wrap and a couple of rubberbands.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

How far are you going to be from home and how far from your vehicle when you are hunting? It's always a good idea to take just enough equipment to be able to do some cleaning or light maintenance such as changing a nipple. Having that stuff in a nearby vehicle can save a huntiing trip.

Maybe it should be another Semisane rule:Maintenanceissuesalways occur when you are totally unprepared for them and NEED your rifle.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 PM

I am still new to muzzleloading. What makes a good possibles bag? I am ok with what to carry, the Army taught me how to overpack, I just don't know where to find a good bag.

Quick Reply: What to carry in possibles bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.