Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What to carry in possibles bag?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to carry in possibles bag?

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I leave tomarrow and was getting my possibles bag ready so I thought I would ask what your guys think. Here is what I have in my possibles bag for muzzleloading supplies:
[ul][*]10 Balls[*]10 Wads[*]10 Shooting Patches[*]Capper[*]Nipple Pick[*]Short Starter[/ul]

I probably dont need 10 shots but it never hurts to have extra if we get stranded or something. I might only take 5 extra shots. Im not sure. I will also have my powder horn to. Anything else? I do not plan on cleaning in the field.
Ball puller and a patch puller. Also some a sandwich bag and a rubber band to put over the lock when it rains/snows, roll of electrical tape to put a piece over bore when raining.
Chap Gleason
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

When I leave the tent in the morning in the mountains,this is what I take for the ML, primer loader,film can of wads, 3bullets, 3 vials of powder. Thats it
if you need a second shot who wants to dig thru a lot of unnecessary items that you might need but are not critical. I am an ol'timer and weight is very important. Rest of stuff I leave in the tent.
Redclub
Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

man you guys pack light

or....i pack heavy

lets see if i can list it all...

2 ball blocks (6 each)

10 premeasured charges in rubber tubes(never used them all...but i rather have them then not...my buddy is always good for runnin out)

pan primer, a small pill bottle full of 4fg(my charger once unscrewed from my neck..lost it in a field..good thing i had that pill bottle!!) touch hole pick and pan brush also on the neck

extra flints(pill bottle full)

patch box full of patches

patch jag, worm, ball puller, t handle starter/puller

dry cleaning patches and alchohol soaked patches

something to tighten down my flint with...usually a leathermen

powder flask and measurer are in the consel of my truck....

cows knee

man i know im missing stuff...hmmm but compared to most, i carry way more stuff...all fits in my possible bag though..and we do alot of drives in the flintlock season....my buddys dont even ask...they just come to me to get what they ran out of lol.

im the guy that is always pulling a ball and dumping a charge...ALWAYS sweeping the pan. im over protective...i want that gun to go off like a champ when i touch off on that hair trigger...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sort of depends upon the type of rifle you carry but the most shots I've ever taken in a day of deer hunting is two (wouldn't have needed the second one ... but I MISSED with the first!! [:-]) Believe that is the same day I realized that it is better to just throw the contents of your first speed-loader on the ground - calms you down a bit.

All that extra stuff packed into the woods is just something to rattle or otherwise annoy you. But you better have some light tools and essentials within some reasonable distance (camp or vehicle), else be prepared to go home early.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmstevens2

I am still new to muzzleloading. What makes a good possibles bag? I am ok with what to carry, the Army taught me how to overpack, I just don't know where to find a good bag.
Try a thrift shop, theymay have used leather pocketbooks thatcould bejust the ticket for making a good possibles bag for only a few bucks. Itshould have a longer strap to drap itfrom one shoulder to the other side of the body.

Here's one that I found quickly, but I didn't searchveryhard:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00139A1438