Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fire Starter

Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Fire Starter

Saw these at the NE Region Rendezvous last July. Absolutely amazing. Anybody try one?

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(lkiepe55m43t0v452t3jc045))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=1&subId=4&styleId=10 &partNum=FIRE-PISTON
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fire Starter

For that price my simple flint and steel striker work just fine. I make my own char cloth out of old cleaning patches using my homemade cooker. Then all I need is some dried grass, shavings, and there you have an instant fire..

I was showing off to friends once who had saw the flint and steel strikers at my house. They wanted to see how fast I could start a fire with the flint and steel. And threw the hot char and such into a large glass ash try after I got it going.. don't ever do that. It heated that glass ash try so fast and hot that thing went.. POP! and split right down the middle.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 AM

Im making a fire piston now. Those things are awesome.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like BIC lighters.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I like BIC lighters.
Do you wear your buckskins when you use that BIC there Underclocked?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM

I used to have flint and steel competion with a friend at a scout camp we worked at in Wildrose wi, I prefer the spinning ball of pine needles once char cloth is sparked. I am goin campin this weekend and will be startin every fire with flint and steel just for fun, I hope we dont get snow!
Nathan
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM

I forgot to mention I just saw one of these used on a SUrvivorman episode. Les liked these little things and started a fire quite quickly ( creative editing!?) lol
nathan
Old 10-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Fire pistons work fine as long as you keep the gasket greased. I'd stick with flint and steel not knowing how a piston might work in wet weather. I know flint and steel are fine as long as you have dry tinder.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

water proof matches in a water proof container - but the BIC is a good alternative...

They made us quit carrying the BIC's when we were fighting forest fires - but I think Myth Busters proved the exploding BIC a myth...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

cayugad

water proof matches in a water proof container - but the BIC is a good alternative...

They made us quit carrying the BIC's when we were fighting forest fires - but I think Myth Busters proved the exploding BIC a myth...
Actually in my hunting sack, when I am in the woods I have three books of matches sealed in a vaccum sealer bag. No air, they can't burn. They are dry and there for an emergency. Also I take some of the #11 tins and make small candles out of them, then tape them shut, together. That goes in the same little spot with the matches. With that, I can light a #11 tin candle, make a fire from it, have light if I want, or do about anything.. should I ever have to stay over night in the woods. Believe me, I've done it, and those little candles are a life saver.

Quick Reply: Fire Starter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.