Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Zouave Anyone?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Zouave Anyone?

Doug S - I have the same gun, probably the same vintage, mine is a 3 digit serial number 9XX, what is yours?
The number on mine is 2048.

The top of the barrel is marked NAVY ARMS CO.
The right side of the barrel is marked Made In Italy.
The left side of the barrel is marked .58 CALIBER XX, then there's a shield with something in it that I can't make out, with a five pointed star inside of a sunburst-like symbol over the shield. Next to that is PN with the star/sunburst over it. Then there's FINITO with the star/sunburst over it.
On a second line, there's F.A.R.A. 2048
The shield/star/sunburst is repeated on the tang.
The serial number is also stamped in the barrel channel of the stock.
The barrel has three lands and grooves of equal width.
The bore is shiney, smooth and even. The grooves are about .010 deep.
The lands havesharp edges that are slightly rounded for the first 1/8" at the muzzle.

The guy I bought it from says he bought it in 1955 and was very definite about it, but the inside of the trigger guard is stamped 1969 - whether that's a date, part number, or whatever I do not know.

Are these markings pretty much the same as yours? If so, do you know the manufacturer?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well this is getting curiouser and curiouser. Found a web site that matches Italian gun proofmarks to the year of proof. http://www.berettaweb.com/DL1.htm

It tells me the XX on my barrel means the gun was proofed in 1964. Kind of blows the seller's story that he bought it in 1955. Oh well, he was a pretty old dude (even older than me) and memories do get confused.

Found another web site that ID's gun manufacturers. Found out the FARA on the barrel means it was made by Guisuppe Zoli. http://www.earmi.it/armi/database/brand_z.htm

Picked up some .570 balls yesterday and will be making smoke with it Saturday. I have two pounds of JSG FFG which I've never shot before. May as well try it it the Zouave.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM

Mine is similar but no FARA and Navy Arms is on the sideplate only. I do have a mechanical compass like logo on the left side of the bbl and in it appears to be "Antonio Zoli" stamped. The trigger guard has the serial number stamped in it as does the butt plate. In the patch box is an extra nipple and the worm. Navy Arms was started in 1956 and I'm not sure when they started selling our guns or where they got them.

All I know for sure is mine is a great shooter, lots of fun, lots of smoke and large holes in targets(don't need binos to see where it is hitting)...

Let me know how your's shoots or if you learn it's date for sure...

Thanks
Doug

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the patch box is an extra nipple and the worm.
Mine also.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

My dad had one of these and it is now mine. From what he told me, the Zouave was made to shoot miniballs the best. I'm not sure about yours, but the rifle lands and groves in mine are extremely wide. About 4 times wider than what I would consider normal. I was thinking about hunting with this gun too and was going to shoot the mini.

I am interested to see how it turns out for you. If you could, let me know what you have the best luck with and how the PRB turns out.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will do Moebedda, but it will be more a test of my old bifocal eyes than of the gun. I just don't see iron sights that well anymore, and the ones on this gun are sure not what you would call target quality.