Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accuracy Problems again

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Accuracy Problems again

I don't mean to be a smart ass but that sounds like a common scenario with the CVA's.

It could be the scope but if it ain't that I would sell the gun while you still can.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM

Or your powder. Triple 7 as i found out is very odd from week to week. Thats why i will no ,longer use it in my rifles. Shame too, my .45 shot great with it on a new can.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I believe that Sabotloader found my problem. After a careful disassembly of my gun, I found something of great concern. There's no one to blame my rifles condition but myself, but on our last outing, my son asked if he could help with the clean up and I agreed. When I removed my breech plug this evening while talking to Sabotloader on the phone, I was amazed at what I found. A huge build up of breech plug grease was caked up at the muzzle end of the plug and after it's removal, the barrel was about 1/5th covered by what appeared to be hardened or crystalized grease. Upon further inspection with a good light, I found that the grooves in the first 3 inches of the barrel beyond the breech plug threads were not visable. Sabotloader said that it was probably plastic and breech plug grease. Anyhow, I spent the last 2 hours cleaning the heck out of it, pouring boiling water down the barrel and just a good thourough cleaning. I had never poured boiling water down the barrel but cannot believe how shiney the barrel is now. I'm sure that this was the culprit and appreciate you guys for helping me. I also took the scope off for the boiling and to check and make sure that everything was tight and it was. I'm gonna shoot her again tomorrow and if it doesn't shoot well, I'll try another scope. It has a new Nikon on it now but I have a spare redfield illuminater in the gun safe. Ya'll cross your fingers and toes.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 PM

glad you may have found the problem. Take your time cleaning, theres no rush to get things done faster. Stories like this, about finding all kinds of crud, scare me and i dont like seeing these new " 5 minute, easy to clean rifles" coming out. Shooter must not only learn how to find and work up loads, but must also learn how to slow down, take care in cleaning the rifle for the next shooting session.
Let us all know.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.
I can understand that Rodney, eh - Underclocked. Looks like you nailed it on the first reply.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Underclocked, you were correct. I'm going to shoot again tommorrow and if it still shoots poorly, I'll put the iron sights back on it and give that a try. Oh, and you do have my respect... Thank you, Sir
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I'll stop pooching my lips out.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bigtimer

If you guys would PLEASE go back to the post entitled "Accuracy Problems" (july) and read the contents. I had my CVA Optima Pro shooting like a dream. Our season opens this Saturday so I decided to go to the range one more time to make sure that everything is still OK. I shot a few caps through it. Loaded her up, good rest, everything on go. I sqeezed the trigger and at the drop of the hammer, the primer went off but the charge didn't go off immediately. The target is a 14" x 18" target. NEVER TOUCHED IT[:@] Is this a hang fire? Anyhow, I let it cool and tried again. 6 inches high and 8 inches left. Shot #3 was 3 inches low and 6 inched left. The rest is history. The more I shot the worse it got. Now, I'm a reasonable man but what the???????. Somebody's gonna get a good gun REAL cheap. I've checked the scope and mounts ect, but this continues to be a problem for me and I wind up buying the newer and better gun that I'm sure that I don't need. How could it have shot soo well in july and this bad in Oct with NO change in bullet, sabbot, powder and primer. PLEASE HELP!!!
YES, that was a hang-fire. There was something in the flash channel that impeded the ignition of your first charge. Of course, it missed!! Because your rifle was way off target by the time it went bang! I suspect you may have flinched a little anticipating the recoil, which didn't come when you expected it.

As for the poor shooting afterward, I am not use or the cause, but since the rifle worked well previously, I believe it is your fault, and not the gun's, that the grouping was so poor. Not knowing any better, I suspect there my have been a build-up of Bore Butter or some ohersimilar lubricant or bullet grease in the bore, possibly from previous shooting of bullets with that stuff on them, or you didn't do a good job of getting the lube and/or fouling out of the bore, thebreechblock flash-channel, and nipple the last time you cleaned the gun.

I recommend a thorough bore cleaning using boiling water, and a good scrubbing of the breechblock, flashchannel, and nipple using hot, soapy water. Soak these parts, then scrub them until they shine. Now dry everytyhing off, and wipe them down with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH (Barrier).

The next time you go to the range, when you pop your caps to clear the flash channel & nipple, hold the muzzle down near a blade of grass or a leaf on the ground. The cap gases should make the grass move or blow the leaf an few inches. If this does NOT happen, then your flash channel is NOT clear, and you need to take the breechblock out and clear the flash chgannel. (BUT, if you cleaned and preserved your gun according to my instructions above, the systyem will be clear!!)

Now load up and shoot, using the load that proved good previously. MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING FRESH POWDER!! Some substitutes can go bad pretty fast if stored in a humid environment. This does not make for consistent shooting!

I suppose it is nevcessary to use some kind of anti-seize grease on those breech plugs. I have a couple of inlines, but most of my ML don't have removable breech plugs, so I am not sure. But if it is necessary, just put a ittle dab of the stuff on the threads, at least 1/4" back from the front face of the plug!

Watch out for flinching!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If the rifle has iron sights, pull the scope and try that load at 50 yards with out the scope. If it shoots a 2" group at that distance, then you might suspect the scope is no good. Or throw another scope on it and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise you are going to have to rework all the steps of what you do to the rifle and where you might have changed something.
While the scope can be the major problem, somehow I believe it is something else-an unclean gun. What gave me the first clue?? The dad-burn mn hangfire, that's what! Hangfires don't happen with clean flash channels!

Quick Reply: Accuracy Problems again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.