Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore Quality??

Old 02-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Encore Quality??

I usually shoot 3 shoot groups because I don' t think I will ever get 5 shots at a deer.I have taken 2 deer at the same time twice and one was with 2 shots and one was with 3 shots ( I missed it the first time).
Yes I would send the barrel back and see if they will put a 1:28 twist barrel on.
The 1:20 barrel I got first you couldn' t hit a bull in the ass at 25 yds.The 1:28 so far shows a lot of promise,I haven' t got it fined tuned yet because of the weather but should pretty soon.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:13 PM

Thought I would jump in here also if ya dont mind. I picked up a 209X50 stainless today for $506 (best price I could find on a new one). I have a couple Q' s also. Frist, when you talk about JB' s, are you referring to JB' s bore polish available from Brownell' s, and what is the advantage of using it? Does it smooth up the barrel for easier cleaning or loading? Where did you get the filler screw for the sights, Brownells (Brownells is 4 miles from my house)? I will use a scope and wouldnt mind ditching the iron sights. Do you recommend removing the 209 ejector? Finally, has anybody seen a " Michigan Hunters special edition" with the laminated wood stocks? I love the looks of it but nobody knows what Im talking about or knows where to get one. Sorry about dumping all the newbie Q' s into your post, and thanks for any help.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

TimberPig, I' ll try to answer your questions.

" Frist, when you talk about JB' s, are you referring to JB' s bore polish available from Brownell' s, and what is the advantage of using it? Does it smooth up the barrel for easier cleaning or loading?" That' s a yes on all counts.

" Where did you get the filler screw for the sights, Brownells (Brownells is 4 miles from my house )?" You lucky dog. The scope base filler screws work for the rear sight holes, the front sight filler is one I scavenged at Bass Pro in Springfield, MO. Their gunshop accumulates filler screws and they are more than glad to see come begging.

" Do you recommend removing the 209 ejector?" Absolutelyl!

" Finally, has anybody seen a " Michigan Hunters special edition" with the laminated wood stocks?" No, but I think they are either the nutmeg or salt&pepper laminated stock made by http://www.boydboys.com/.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Spike

Herman and Undercocked, thanks for the response. Checked the twist with a cleaning rod as you explained. The mark rotated around so it looks like it still is 1:20 twist. Being this will be the second time we will be sending the barrels back does anyone have any suggesuions on what to say or who to talk to so the barrels get replaced with the new ones.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Thanks Underclocked! By golly I think your right about those Boyd' s stocks too. Looks to be the pepper version and at about $100 they are priced pretty good for a laminated stock. I' ll save that link and if this gun shoots decent I will probably order one. I always thought a stainless rifle with a gray laminated stock was about as pretty as they get. Thanks alot.......T-pig.