Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loads for buffalo bullets

Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Default loads for buffalo bullets

I have some buffalo bullets , they are the 490 gr 50 cal hp's........do any of you have any experience with these ?

any favorite loads , or precautions ?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: loads for buffalo bullets

I never shot them. But being a buffalo bullet you would want to start them out with a low powder charge and then work up to something your rifle likes and you can handle. 70 grains would be a good starting load. With that kind of weight, if your hunting deer, that is plenty. What rifle and barrel twist are we talking about here? Also since they have a flat base, you might consider a wad, bore button, or even 20 grains of cornmeal between the powder and the bullet to help seal it and protect the base of the conical.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM

I'm using a cva hunterbolt........I finally got my breech plug back from them , they sent me a brand new one

have'nt had a chance to shoot it yet , but i will this weekend ........the trigger job they did was great !!!

I just have these big 'ol bullets and was wondering how they would shoot

any combos will be appreacated
Old 09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

If your not restricted to conicals only as in some areas of the country, there are sabots also to try. They might shoot very well out of your rifle. I would suggest some 240 & 300 grain Hornady XTP's with about 90 grains of loose powder. They should do well.

Also, since you have a CVA Hunterbolt, I will guess that some powerbelts will also do very well out of the rifle. I shoot a 245 grain out of my CVA Staghorn Magnum with excellent results.

The there are Lyman Maxiball, REAL conicals, Hornady Great Plains conicals... all of them might do real well out of your rifle. All you can do is try them.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: meh101465

I have some buffalo bullets , they are the 490 gr 50 cal hp's........do any of you have any experience with these ?

any favorite loads , or precautions ?
Buffalo Bullets just went out of business, then I just read on this forum I believe, where they started back up again. I suspect that you will have trouble finding them in a year or so, so why work up a load if you can't get them in the future? I agree with Cayugad use a sabot, that is what the inline was designed for and therefore will shoot the best with. XTP are excellent as Cayugad recommended.
Chap Gleason