Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Powder

Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Best Powder

What types of powders have people found to be the best type of powder to shoot? Why would you say that powder works the best for you?

I have found that I like 777 yet I am reading a lot different opinions on here and thought I would start this post to see where people stand.

Thanks

River Rat
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Powder

The best powder varies from rifle to rifle for me. For instance in a traditional flintlock the best powder will always be black powder of some brand. Yet you can duplex a load and still get good accuracy. Some inlines like loose powders, and some shoot pellets just fine.

I have a Renegade that if you load anything but Pyrodex RS it will spray the target. You load Pyrodex and it is as accurate as any other rifle. It does well with Goex too, but the powders are kind of similar in nature and power.

Use the powder that is easy to obtain in your area, in your price range, easy to clean (all powders have to be cleaned), produces the kind of fowling in a rifle you can deal with and be comfortable with. For instance, some people hate to swab a rifle. For that reason they like APP or Black Mag 3. Even Triple Se7en. While I am not fond of swabbing, I know it has to be done, so any powder will do. And last the powder that your rifle and load likes. Sometimes you have to experiment. That is what makes these rifles fun. So I will say, there is no set BEST POWDER on the market. The best is the ones that works for you and your needs.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

River Rat

What types of powders have people found to be the best type of powder to shoot?
Cayugad's reply certainly is correct, but I guess I am one of the fortunate ones as T7 shoots really well from all of my ML's. The only thing that I change is 2f or 3f - I do switch to 3f in the sidelocks because T7 is more difficult to ignite with a percussion cap in really cold weather.

Another considration if the limited supply of powder types that we have available in this area. I have shot Clean Shot - Clear Shot - Pyro's & T7. For me T7 serves best as it is easy to clean and far less corrosive than the pyro's. I should also say it is dependable, available, consistent, powerful, and accurate.

Just replied in another string about powders - might look @

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2343648&mpage=2&=#2347090

Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot anything but Pyrodex loose RS and pellets. I bought 2 cans of loose and 2 boxes of pellets back just after Christmas when Walmart had them on sale for $4 each. Being new to muzzleloading I just picked them and the Pyrodex works great for me. I have no desire to try any of the other powders.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

For inlines and percussion as well as cap n ball revolvers I will use no powder other than american pioneer powder! This stuff is great in every department. Consistant higher velocity,non corrosive,accurate,and NO FOULING buildup at all! We tested this powder side by side with 777,black powder,and pyrodex and it clearly came out on top.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It dont make any differance what a person likes if you try all thats available you will find out what the gun likes.
A high percentage of guns will shoot a very good group with pyrodex but a lot of those same guns will also shoot at least one of the other black powder subs well. I think everyone needs to find the combination and the load that makes him or her happy. Lee
Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I've never shot anything but Pyrodex loose RS and pellets. I bought 2 cans of loose and 2 boxes of pellets back just after Christmas when Walmart had them on sale for $4 each. Being new to muzzleloading I just picked them and the Pyrodex works great for me. I have no desire to try any of the other powders.
Wow, $4. I am going to have to remember that. I bought 777 Pellets at Wal-Mart for $10/box about 4 years ago, I thougt that was a good deal, but $4 is great. Chap
Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Wow, $4. I am going to have to remember that. I bought 777 Pellets at Wal-Mart for $10/box about 4 years ago, I thougt that was a good deal, but $4 is great. Chap
It was right around the first of January, about the time my local Walmart took all their guns off the shelves and stopped sellling them. Yep, I have one on my way home from work so I'll be remembering to check often during the winter.