Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Youth Muzzleloader

Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Youth Muzzleloader

Since you asked specifically about the CVA wolf I can tell you Ive owned one for two years now and its a great shooting little gun for something in that price range.I took 2 deer last year past 100 yrds with it.

I have taken several kids shooting and/or hunting with mine this year and they have all shot it well.My 11 yr old cousin is actually smaller then your daughter due to heart defects and has had 2 heart surgeries one of which he is still recovering from.The recoil from his 20 gauge and his dads muzzleloader hurt his chest and he was afraid to shoot them after he got his eye to close to the scope once, I let him try my wolf and it fit him much better and I could get a light enough load in it the recoil was barely noticable for him.

If its still a little big for her get a good bi-pod rest or something to that affect, I bought my son one and let my nephew use it as well, he was breaking stationary clay pigeons with it at 40 yrds which is about as far as were gonna let him shoot anyway with the load hes shooting.Nice little gun for beginners, it is rather cheap though so you gotta take a little extra care in cleaning or it will get rusty.I actually put my Knight in the closet and started using he Wolf for most of my hunting.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

T/C makes a Youth Stock for their awesome rifles.

My Daughter prefers the feel of the thumbhole stock onher T/C Omega better though. However, my boys who are only 7 and 8 both want to shoot my Encore Pro Hunter with the Youth stock.
This sounds like an excellent option, since when they group older you can just replace the stock. Great idea. Chap Gleason
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the great advise. I do greatly appreciate it. Now if we could only get the minimum hunting age lowered from 12, she can start hunting with dad a little sooner. Thanks again.