Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady 200 grain xtp

Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 AM

Default hornady 200 grain xtp

Any of you guys shoot these bullets? How is accuracy and performance on deer size game? We are in the middle of the youth season here in Iowa and my boy just broke his arm in a football game. The break is right below the sholder socket so I would like to lighten up the recoil as much as possible. Right now he shoots 70 grains of 777 and a beartooth 360 grain bullet. I thought dropping back to a 200 grain bullet would help if we can maintain accuracy and performance.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hornady 200 grain xtp

ORIGINAL: jlbeebe

Any of you guys shoot these bullets? How is accuracy and performance on deer size game? We are in the middle of the youth season here in Iowa and my boy just broke his arm in a football game. The break is right below the sholder socket so I would like to lighten up the recoil as much as possible. Right now he shoots 70 grains of 777 and a beartooth 360 grain bullet. I thought dropping back to a 200 grain bullet would help if we can maintain accuracy and performance.
Best to switch shoulders this year and not risk injury to a young man for 1 season, even if he loves it and I am sure he does. Also buy a double man stand with a shooting rest, www.sportmansguide.com has one for $89 that holds 500 lobs. Best Wishes to him. Chap Gleason

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM

I think we are going to try shooting left handed. If that doesn't work we will just have to give it some time to heal. Here in Iowa he has until mid january to fill his tag. I am thinking that by mid December he should be able to shoot again but I would like to lessen the recoil just in case.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot the 200 grain XTP's with some excellent results. I normally shoot them with 100 grains of powder as they seem to like a good solid charge under them. I have never shot a deer with them, but placed in the right spot, I think they would do fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have a choice of XTP or Shock wave in a 10mm[ 40cal.] by using the blue sabot from MMP; I have been using the SW for several years and believe that they are one of the easy bullets to get to shoot accurate, I have taken 2 deer and2 boar with them with excellant results, I use 150gr of RS in the Omega but they will shoot very good groups with 110 or even 100, in my new Triumph the best load I have tried to date is 100gr 777-FF it has a 1.1 inch average for all the groups I have shot, next time out to the range I mean to try 110.Lee
Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took 1 deer last year with the .40 cal 200 grain XTP. I was shooting 100 grains of 777 & Harvestor sabots. 1 shot through the ribcage dropped the buck in his tracks - can't argue with that. However, if you're looking for less recoil, you'll need to back off the powder charge as well as using a lighter bullet - 100 grains of 777 thumps pretty good.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

I took 1 deer last year with the .40 cal 200 grain XTP. I was shooting 100 grains of 777 & Harvestor sabots. 1 shot through the ribcage dropped the buck in his tracks - can't argue with that. However, if you're looking for less recoil, you'll need to back off the powder charge as well as using a lighter bullet - 100 grains of 777 thumps pretty good.
oldsmellhound you have my interest here. I was wondering based on your experience with the XTP... how far away was the buck from you? While you entered the rib cage, what major organs did you notice hit? What kind of internal damage did this small hollow point do to them? Did you get pass through? What would you estimate the live weight of the deer to be? Last, since the deer dropped in its tracks, I am guessing there was an angle to your shot of rib cage towards front shoulder.. was there a lot of meat damage? I intend to hunt a couple days with this bullet because I shoot them with 90 grains of Triple Se7en out of one rifle and their accuracy is outstanding. While I know a .40 caliber or 10mm bullet is large, there is always that little voice in the back of my head telling me to shoot something bigger. All my shots would be very close, so I am guessing the expansion of the bullet would be excellent..

thanks.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:58 PM

The bullet will do fine, and at 70gr 777 it will have no problem inside 125yds or so taking deer if it shoots well. Might stick a limbsaver on and use a bench rest for limitedshooting practice and it should be tolerable...but that will be his decision.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad.

Sorry it took so long to respond - I don't always have time to check the forums often. Here's some answers to your questions:

1. The buck was 108 paces (basically 100 yards)

2. The bullet entered high in the back at a steep downward angle (I was shooting down into a ravine) passing just under the spine. In fact, I think the shock of the bullet hitting that close to the spine is what made it drop instantly. From there the bullet passed through at a front-to-rear angle through the back of both lungs and the liver before exiting. The exit hole was golf-ball sized. There was a golf-ball sized chunk taken out of the lungs as well. The liver had a slightly smaller hole through it. There was a huge amount of blood inside the chest cavity and on the ground around it as well.

3. The live weight of the deer was about 150 pounds (I didn't weigh it, so this is a guess).

4. There was almost no meat damage because the shot missed the shoulders. There was some damage done to the backstraps, but it was minimal.

I wouldn't worry about shooting something bigger. If you were elk hunting, then that would be different. Hope this helps!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 200 gn XTP on top of 65 grains BY WEIGHT (about 82 grains volumetric)of FFg T7 is very accurate and effective from my .45 G2 Contender. That little rifle kicks like a mule with anything close to a heavy load, so a lighter load had to be found and that's what I settled on.

And I hate sabots. Derned recycled milk jugs!!

Quick Reply: hornady 200 grain xtp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.