Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Funny Jim Shockey

Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Funny Jim Shockey

All I know is we tested his powder side by side with black powder,777,and pyrodex and american pioneer powder clearly came out on top. Remember that all 4 rifles was set up idenical and we even changed rifles just in case 1 rifle was naturally more accurate than the others and crono all loads.So yes,his powder works and is the only powder I will use.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

stalkingbear

we tested his powder side by side with black powder,777,and pyrodex and american pioneer powder clearly came out on top.
You really do not say what it came out on top of, but American Rifleman conducted the same testing and published their results...

To me, it looks like T7 more than holds it own
Greater velocity
Less deviation

JSG - certainly wins the less pressure catagory though..

Old 09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

There is a significant difference with the 3Fg Shockeys, compared to 2Fg used in that testing.

All APP products are very course/fish tank gravel-2fg. The 3Fg is still courser than all the other powders tested. The true test is by actual wieght. In the end, T7 still wins, but not by as much.

Ican live very nicely with a little less accuracy, traded for never having a frozen breech plug[:-], no crud ring[:'(], and never getting my ramrod stuck swabbing after EVERY shot(T7)[:@]-using short choppy strokes. With APP, just send those patches all the way down and up
Old 09-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

LaneNebraska

live very nicely with a little less accuracy, traded for never having a frozen breech plug[:-], no crud ring[:'(], and never getting my ramrod stuck swabbing after EVERY shot(T7)[:@]-using short choppy strokes
I am amoung the fortunate ones - I do not have stuck BP's, do not suffer from the CR, but I do choose to swab after each if I want to - really do not need to, but for me i choose to shoot the barrel in the same condition each time I shoot. Sorta whatI got use to doing with centerfires.

It is a good idea to use those short choppy strokes if you are unsure of what you might find in the barrel. Another nice thing is I can shoot at the beginning of hunting season and strip clean at the end.

I do shoot T7-3f in my sidelocks and I really do not see the performance jump that you indicate you get with 3f APP/Shockey. 3f is just easier to ignite than 2f in lousy cold weather of northern Idaho.

This is just my personal thoughts but all those things you mention are really a minor nusciance for the positives of velocity, energy,and trajectoryyou get with the use of T7. + once you learn the to deal with those nusciances they really are not that big of deal.

I have not used the new APP or Shockey's but I still have some Clean Shot and it was not a really good powder for me. It worked, but it really did not provide the performance.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have to admit I just plain like the JSG Sticks better than 777 pellets... I know that it's not as good on paper but for me thats were it ends. I have a comfort zone of 150 yards with my muzzleloaders and the Sticks perform great in my Pro-Hunter at that range... no critter can live on the difference. Not that this is scientific, but back this summer when it was hot as blue blazes the JSG Sticks were less affected than 777 pellets, 777 2f, and JSG 3f out od my Omega
Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

This was a load of three JSG Sticks and a 300 grain Nosler PP out of my Omega in about 100 degree heat...I shot, loaded a quick second round and shot the 100 yard deer target again(something the 777 crud ring would not allow)... dead deer!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Try the pic again...