Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

black powder shotgun

Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Default black powder shotgun

I was looking at getting a black powder shotgun. I was looking at these two. The knight TK-2000 or the CVA Optima Pro Shotgun. What are your thoughts on these. I was planning on using it for hunting turkeys, duck, and upland. I know I am crazy for think of upland hunt but I figure I got nothing but time to kill when hunting. Also can you folks recommend some reading material to use to learn to figure out how to load and figure shot for my new gun. Thanks for your time.

Nolan'

Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: black powder shotgun

This is a personal opinion of mine, but of the two mentioned it would be the Knight TK2000 for me. I have read too many posts about how well these shotguns perform. I have a friend who lives for turkey hunting. He uses a Knight TK2000 because he claims he gets better shot patterns at longer ranges with it, then him modern smokeless shotguns. He must do something right because he kills lots of turkey. One he claimed at over 40 yards, dead on the spot.

Also Knight provides a video and a great manual for most of their weapons. I see no reason why the Knight would be any different. I was going to go the same route as you, but instead went to a traditional side lock Thompson Center New Englander 12 gauge which I am still waiting on...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

For turkey the Knight would be very hard to beat. I had one and the patterns were awesome. 100 to 120 grains of T-7 behind 2½ oz of shot is deadly (on both ends of the gun, that's why I say had one ). The stock dimentions and fiber optic sights are designed for slow deliberate shooting, so it wouldn't be as good for ducks & upland game.
For shooting ducks or upland game I believe I'd go with the CVA if I was limited to the two choices.

Actually, I sold my inlines and added a 12ga barrel to my T/C NewEnglander. A lot more versatility and it fits me well. Not quite as much range as the Knight, but it makes it more fun to have to get a little closer to the turkeys.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM

one more question for you folks. As far as powder what does it use. I just looking at what other items I will need to get. If you have a list I would be happy to hear about it. I am lean towards the Knight partly because here in Moorhead, MN the three sporting goods store had no clue what I was talking about and that the CVA had a 12ga. They just keep saying they could not get it. So I was looking a the Knight at Cabelas and they are only 70miles from me. I still keeping my chooses open.

Nolan
Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the Knight about any black or "replica" powder will work fine. I called Knight when I tried T-7 and they told me it would handle up to 120 grains behind the 2 1/2 oz of shot.
I found 120 grains of T-7 was too much for getting good patterns, and way too much for keeping my IQ at it's present level.
100 grains of T-7 ffg, 120 grains of Pyrodex R/S,or 120 grains of Goex ffg all worked well for me.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM

www.budsgunshop.com for cva shotguns and other muzzleloaders.