Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Z5 25ACP conversion?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega Z5 25ACP conversion?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about converting my Omega 50cal 209 to 25 acp primer. Do I needto get a differentbreechplug, or do I just buy an adapter? Also where is a good place to buy what I need cheap (online)? Thanks alot!!

chris
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega Z5 25ACP conversion?

Buckhunter46755

I'm thinking about converting my Omega 50cal 209 to 25 acp primer. Do I needto get a differentbreechplug, or do I just buy an adapter? Also where is a good place to buy what I need cheap
It is worth every penny... it is so much cleaner...

Here it is installed in a Encore...

http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm

Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is worth every penny... it is so much cleaner...
DITTO That!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys... I will check it out. They are kinda expensive! I may have to wait till I make some more money! Looks like about 100 bucks for everything. Priming kit etc. I'm sure it's money well spent though. I need to get this asap! Does this conversion really improve accuracy as much as it says??? Amazin!
chris
P.S. I see you can also just get the variflame adapters. Do they work good also? I may start out with those if I can just use them.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buckhunter46755

IMO - They really do not omprove accuracy that much. But they are so much cleaner and in the long run cheaper to shoot.

When I bought them I just bought the plug and cases, I did purchase extra cases also, but to prime and deprime them I already had the necessary tools.

To de-prime really all you need is a punch, hammer, and a block. I usea simpleLee hand loading press to prime them.

This is a simple lee loading kit... they do not make one for a 25ACP but they do make it for a 22 hornet... this would give you the deprimeing punch and the abilty to re-prime the deprimed cases..

This is the Lee hand priming tool - it really works well - you would need this and the correct shell holder for the 25ACP

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

Just some additional choices...

Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought the VariFlame 209 conversion with the small tool kit from Cabelas. I prolly didn't need the kit but it was only $10 more. I got 10 of the milled out brass adapters and the punch and seat kit for $22.95 + $5 shipping. Not too bad I guess. It will get me started at least. I may go with the converted breech plug later. I hope they work as good as the total plug conversion. Thanks for your help!

chris
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Buckhunter, be sure to let us know how the VariFlames work for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

BuckHunter,

I have been using the VariFlame all summer and it has worked out really well for me. It is a little dirty (but what isn't in black powder) but not as bad as the 209 primer. I toyed with the idea of using the .25 ACP adapter but went with this because it was more readily available at the time. Still considering the .25 ACP but after my fall elk hunt then I'll check into it. Good luckwith the VariFlame kit and I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I will let you all know how it works out. As soon as Iget the VariFlame & have a chance to go to the range. I need to sightthe new scopein and get used to it . I bought a 4x30 Simmons Prodiamond shotgun scope (short) for $68 bucks. It has like 5" of continuous eye relief. It seems like a very good scope for the money....fairly high quality for a lower end price. It sure doesfeel good though! I'll post a pic when I get my new blacksling.. I'm so proud of my economical "Nice Gun" lol

chris
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have the .25ACP conversion on my Omega and one of the big advantages is that the brass is a lot easier to handle than the smaller 209 primer. There is enough brass sticking out after firing that you can grab it and pull the piece out without any tools. If a 209 primer sticks there is nothing to grab on to. It is also easier to handle for loading especially if your fingers are cold.

Quick Reply: Omega Z5 25ACP conversion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.