Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some great plains and XTP's were thrown today

Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Some great plains and XTP's were thrown today

I went out to try some pyrodex p with the 300 grain xtp's and so i loaded uo 110 grains of pyro p and a winchester 777 primer. First 3 shots were an acceptable 2 1/4" group. Not acceptable to me! I went and swabbed the rifle and loaded up a 410 grain great plains conical over 90 grains pyrodex p and a group of 3 and was Very happy with what i ended up with. Next time i buy more of the 410's i'll up my charge to 100 grains of pyro p.

Now its time to swab the barrel and switch back to triple 7 and take 3 more shots @ 100 yards.

Heres the great plains 3 shot group with the Winchester. I know, I need to bring it up about 4 inches.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Some great plains and XTP's were thrown today

That's good shooting there. What rifle and twist were you shooting this with?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM

They shrunk a little bit with triple 7. Im now down to a 2", 3 shot group with t7 and a 300 grain xtp. I'll try again tomorrow on a fresh clean rifle.

While i first got out i had to wait about 10 minutes before i could shoot, due to massive glare coming off the stainless steel barrel. While i was sitting there waiting for the sun to lower a little i thought, Why doesn't anyone make an anti glare coated barrel? Even my truglo sights metal frame was causing major glare.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM

The Winchester x-150 with a 26" barrel and 1:28 twist.

Time to order a new breechplug for the rifle. Its been almost 5 years and today i had two slight hang fires. Thinking about buying a #11 setup for the rifle.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting Gander!

Were the neighbors home when you put that dot on the side of the house? Serves them right for not keeping it painted.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting Gander,I had one of those days tried 4 loads groups were 1.2,1.75, 1.78 and 2.3 and these were all loads that shot ok before,what hurts is I still have not been able to figure out what went wrong maybe just an off day I hope. Lee
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 PM

thanks guys,
thats actually the top of my shooting table that fell apart That orange dot on a white background during bright day light was impossible to see and the table top wasnt doing me any good.
I even got some use out of the table frame, i did all of my shooting off the frame that collapsed and fell over lol.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM

A HORRIBLE start this morning turned out to be a great day!
I started off with 90 grains triple 7 and a 777 primer. 3 shots measured 6" group @ 100yards! You all know me and if the rifle isnt shooting atleast an 1 1/2" 100 yard 3 shot group, i am not happy! I was spitting fire when i shot that 6" group. I took the rifle back to the house and cleaned the barrel and breechplug, an hour or so later i went back outside again and loaded up 90 grains triple 7, 300 gn xtp but i switched my price to a CCI shotgun primer. Holy cow what a difference! 3 shots without swabbing measured up at exactly 1", 3 shot group @ 100! I plan on shooting more today and swab between all shots and see what it will do then.

After i try swabbing, the winchester goes back in its blanket and i'll start working up a 25,50,75 and 100 yard load with my northwest rifle and a PRB. I need to get started on my rendezvous shooting load.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM

wow! She did not like swabbing between shots at all! 2 of the 4 shots measured 2" while the other 2 shots were 9" above the other two shots! I believe triple 7 has seen its last days in my rifles. Its just not consistant enough for me to spend the extra $$ on it. It does good with 3 shots on a dirty bore but doesnt like being cleaned into between shots[:'(]. Once i buy more pyrodex p i'll rework a load and see how it does with that.

Mainly want to work on a pyrodex p - 410 gn great plains load and see what i can squeeze out of it.

Also shot two 348 grain powerbelts which did great with pyrodex and triple 7 a couple months back, Today the 2 shots measured 6" group! After all the troubles with way off shots when using triple 7, im sticking with pyrodex only from now on.
$27 VS $15.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Frontier Gander -

I agree. Pyrodex RS is one of the most over looked powders out there right now. Everyone seems to have this "need" for clean burning and "hot" powders. Pyrodex RS has been putting projectiles down range for years with excellent accuracy. While it might fowl more then some powders, the fowling is soft and easily swabbed. While it is more corrosive then other powders, I clean my rifles anyway at the end of the day. While Triple Se7en and Black Mag3 is more powerful grain for grain, at a cost comparison I can add a few more grains of the Pyrodex RS. Pyrodex is a great powder. All you have to do is shoot it.