Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My new addition

Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default My new addition

This is a 1X Thompson Center scope mounted on a Renegade rifle sporting a Green Mountain 1:28 twist barrel. This is legal in Wisconsin Deer Season, so I want to work up a load with the 200 grain XTP's and about 110 grains of Goex 3f and then deer hunt with it. I hope I can get out and shoot it tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My new addition

Looking Good Dave!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a second there I thought you got a new muzzloader!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

He did, but he aint sayin' much. Shotgun. Fess up Dave!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice set-up. I've never used a 1X, but always thought about it. Can't seem to convince myself to pay scope prices for no magnification.

Does it have unlimited eye relief? What about field of view?

I have a 2X pistol scope mounted "semi-scout" fashion on my New Englander. Eye relief is perfect, but field of view is only about 15 feet at 100 yards.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

This is a 32mm scope. I forget the field of view. The eye relief is excellent but I want to get a better one.. a Nikon 1x20mm next, and a Traditions 1X for a different rifle. We are not allowed magnification.

I did get another gun. I ordered another New Englander with a 12 gauge shotgun barrel with full chokes. I am having them make the choke I want fit it, for turkey hunting. It should be here in 4-6 weeks he said. So I have to wait. I bought wads, hulls, shot, and everything I need to shoot it, now I have to wait. I know I was not going to buy more rifles, but could not turn this one down. The barrel is brand new.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:55 AM

I wish I still had my New Englander
I'll get another one some day.

Now that that's over, cayugadhow come you went with a 1X scope?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin does not allow magnification of scopes in our Muzzleloader season. They do allow a RED DOT or a 1X scope so I went with this set up so I can shoot it in all seasons. I have this same scope I put on a White Ultra Mag as well, and with this set up out to 100 yards the White is deadly. I am hoping this Green Mountain Barrel will shoot sabots well, and I want to see just how far I can make a "traditional" rifle shoot. Although many would argue that a traditional would not be shooting sabots. I personally say it is a matter of choice.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My NewEnglander suddenly lost accuracy a couple years ago. Oddly enough, it was at about the same time my eye doctor made me switch from contact lenses to bifocalglasses (blood vessels were trying to extend themselves into the lens area of my eyes to bring in more oxygen). I suddenly couldn't keep a 6" group where I used to shoot 2" groups!
I dug up a scope base for the barrel and stuck a 2-7X leupold on it, and miracously the groups suddenly shrank to 1".
Today I'm back to wearing contacts andthe rifle willshoot good groups again with the factory rear sight and a fiber optic front.
Odd how accuracy comes and goes with them muzzleloader barrels?????
Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking rifle. I just love the looks of the classic style of guns.

Quick Reply: My new addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.