Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage

Old 01-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Savage

Anyone know yet if Savage is coming out with a 45 in the smokeless this year.It was mentioned on year last year that they were but haven't seen any more about it.
How about it One-Shot you know anything?

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 01-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Savage

One -shot you still on the board,haven't seen any posts lately.
I talked to a friend yesterday(he is a gun smith)that bought a Savage
muzzleloader the same time I bought mine although he got one that was a shooter where mine wasn't.Said he took 2 bucks this year,one at 274 yds and another at 270,He was using 4227 and barnes 250 sabot.Said he was getting 2400+ vel.and it was dropping 12 inches at 275 yds.Don't know where he had it zeroed.I have seen groups he shot on paper with reg rifles and they were very impressive.Does the 12in. drop sound reasonable to you??

Old 01-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Savage is still doing R&D on the .45 cal prototype we sent them, so they say. They have had it for over a year now and still haven't statrted production on it yet. it was fairly simple, same design as the 10ML 50 cal, except in 45 cal, with a 24" 1:14 twist barrel a little samller in diameter is all. They have made several prototype based on the 10ML-II design for their R&D testing.

Our inititial testing with the prototype was farily good. Accuracy was acceptable but not great, with groups average around 2"-2.5" range at 100yds. Velocity was excellent, ranging from 2,800-3,200 fps. Bullets in the 180-220 grain range seemed to give the best performance. The Barnes MZ Expanders and Red Hots shot real well. Recoil was very manageable, except with heavy charges of Lil Gun and heavier bullets and even then it was not punishing.

The people up at Savage are being tight lipped about the R&D even. I don't know if they are saving it as a surprise for the Shot Show or not. Hopefully the .45 cal will make it's debut then, only time will tell. If I do find something out I'll definately let you know.

Old 01-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

1-shot thanks for the info,hope they get it worked out before the shot show I am wanting to try one.
With the 1:14 twists that wouldn't be to great shooting black powder and subs would it?I know how hard the 1:20 is to get to shoot light and medium bullets.