Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range experiments and other stuff

Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Range experiments and other stuff

I would like to load my Hawken and leave it that way during the season for at least a week or so between hunts. My GM barrel really likes the Harvester Scorpions in 260 grains with the Crushed Rib sabots but only after a fouled barrel. I've posted what happens on the 1st shot and that isn't pretty (or acceptable) for hunting.

" />

I will not leave the barrel fouled with Pyrodex, so a couple of weeks ago I tried pouring flour down the clean bore, dumped it out, fired a cap, and it helped. Shot #1 was post flour.

" />

That was better, but still unacceptable. So I tried changing to the sabot which comes with the 300XTP's. It's a long petal sabot. I guess a HPH-12. Anyone know for sure? It made a nice difference on a clean bore shot two weeks ago, but still too low for an optimal hunting round. By clean bore I mean dry patched to remove oil then a cap fired to dry the bolster.

" />

So this weekend, I used both the long XTP sabot and bumped the grains of Pyrodex to 100 from 90. Now we're talking.

" />

It is difficult to test for 1st shot results because obviously after the 1st shot you can not test again until you have a clean barrel. This coming weekend, I'll repeat the 100 grains and the long sabot and take the 1st shot at the 100 yd target. If it finds the mark, this will be the hunting round with a follow up shot using the crushed rib sabot. I thought the impact of the sabot change might be of interest to others.

On another note, after 3 weeks of waiting, I canceled my order from Hornady of 300 XTP's in 44 cal. I can find them in the 20 pack locally. More expensive, but the ordering from Hornady experience was not a good one and I didn't think they deserved the business.

I was pleased with the group the 44-300's produced this weekend. It was unique in that I fired 5 shots without checking on the results to avoid the tendency with open sights of correcting for POA vs POI. After the 5th shot, I couldn't go to the target as others were shooting and couldn't tell thru a spotting scope where the 5th hole was. So I shot a 6th and still couldn't tell. When I got a chance to retrieve the target, the upper left hole has 2 bullets sharing the hole. The lower left appears to have taken the other but man it's hard to tell. I've never had this happen before.

Hawken
50 yds. open sights
300 - 44 cal. XTP
short sabot
6 shots
1 5/8"
90 Pyrodex RS

" />

So this weekend, I'll try the 300's with the long green sabots to hopefully raise the group a couple of inches.

Man this is fun.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range experiments and other stuff

I'm Canadian, is that a quarter or a nickel? The only coin other than a penny that I know is the dime with Pres Truman (march of dimes). In either case. thats pretty darn good shooting. I also think you are correct, 2 top left and 2 lower left.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM

No, thats a Silver dollar
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

It's an American made stainless steel trash can lid....50 gallon.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Spike

I love the fact you were shooting at a Hillary sticker, LOL. All you need now is Obamas!!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might try APP or Gold,I have let that sit for 3 or 4 days with just a wipe and it did not show any sign of a problem. Lee
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Lee. I'll try those post season.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I would bet that if you went to .452 bullets and sabot that groups would shring a little more yet. I always set my muzzleloaders up on a clean barrel and swab between shots until it's very clean before loading. You will get tighter groups and you won't need to worry about the fouled barrel stuff. Now your follow up shots won't be as fast but I never worry about a fast follow up shot because if the first one is right -- games over!