Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Percussion Cap Handgun?

Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Which Percussion Cap Handgun?

I am shopping for my first BP percussion cap revolver. I had no idea there were so many to choose from.

I will be using it as a BP and have thoughts of getting a conversion cylinder for it to shoot center fire .45 cowboy rounds.

Which model (i.e. 1847 Walker, 1858 Remington, 1851 Navy, etc) would best suit my needs for a first time revolver? Which brand? Pietta? Uberti?Percussion Cap .HandgunPercussion Cap HandgunsPercussion Cap HandgunsPercussion Cap Handguns
Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which Percussion Cap Handgun?

If all you were going to do is plink on weekends, then either brand of revolver, Pietta or Uberti would do just fine. Since you want to throw cylinders into it, then you better head for the best quality revovler you can get. I don't even know if the Pietta allows the conversion cylinder. I have a Pietta and it is a good shooter. I shoot 30 grains of APP 3f and a .451 roundball. Out to 25 yards, plenty of power and lots of fun. I small game hunt with it, but that's about it.

Since you want the conversion I would go with the Uberti and in a New Army model that has a top strap. All steel frame, no brass is another thing to look for. The top strap helps the revolver to keep from stretching if you happen to chain fire it. I know, I ruined a Navy that way. It chain fired and stretched the frame. I had it fixed but never trusted the thing after that.

Some other brands to consider are Ruger, and Colt. Both of them make excellent revolvers, but you will pay for them.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rugar is by far the best,for that combination. Lee
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Like cayuqad said, stick with the Steel framed revolvers because even if you do not chain fire it, brass framed models will stretch.

Either Revolver that you mentioned will be a fine shooterfor you but unless you intend to holster the Walker in a horse saddle or something I'd stay away from that one but the 1858 Remington, 1851 Colt Navy, or possibly the 1860 Colt Army would make a great holster gun for ya, I tend to like the Colt designs but that is my preference.

Pietta is a good manufacturer I have one of their 1860 Colt Army's & it shoots great, but Uberti & Cimaron are also good companies just a little more on the price tag.

If you want to do the conversion deal then the 1858 Remington would be a better suit because they can be obtained with the loading gate which makes reloading a bit more easy.