Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Bullet for the Buck?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best Bullet for the Buck?

gleason.chapman

Well, actually all these adds and differents spokes people for all thse different products - really do not do much for me... they are making money to say what they say... I have a whole more faith in what I read or see from ordinary people like you, Dave, Lee, Patrick, UC and a whole of others. You tell me you are using a 300 it means something what's his name tells me it has a whole lot less meaning....

That is why you probably would never catch me on the Hawk's sight - anybody getting paid to advertise is getting paid to sale... Remember what ever Shockey is saying about TC now he has already said about Knights...

You can find a site someplace on the internet that will tell you exactly what you want to hear...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

gleason.chapman

Well, actually all these adds and differents spokes people for all thse different products - really do not do much for me... they are making money to say what they say... I have a whole more faith in what I read or see from ordinary people like you, Dave, Lee, Patrick, UC and a whole of others. You tell me you are using a 300 it means something what's his name tells me it has a whole lot less meaning....

That is why you probably would never catch me on the Hawk's sight - anybody getting paid to advertise is getting paid to sale... Remember what ever Shockey is saying about TC now he has already said about Knights...

You can find a site someplace on the internet that will tell you exactly what you want to hear...
Thank you for including me in that very select group of people who you have a lot of respect for. I am honored. I agree with you on Shockey with regard to TC and Knight. I don't ever recall him shooting any other bullet however. Chap
Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Luckily, for me, my Savage prefers cheap bullets. Xtp's 250 and 300grain, Remington .458 JHP 300gr, and Hornady .458 HP 300grain. The only "expensive" bullets it cares for are 250 grain Parker Ballistic Extremes and Bonded Shockwaves. I've hadn't much luck with Barnes.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I truely think the various Barnes bullets are the best performing bullets out there. On the other hand, good old Hornady Great Plains bullets have never failed me and Lee REAL's kill deer about as dead as they can get.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

What has really got to me is the cost to try all the different bullets and powders. Two different types of Barnes bullets, two different types of T/C bullets, and Powerbelts all in the 250 grain range. Then the Pyrodex pellets in 30 and 50 grain size, 777 in pellets and loose Pyrodex powder. In the end the Pyrodex pellets worked the best (both 30 and 50 worked well) at 150 grains but I’m shooting the T/C SW Bonded 250 grain bullet and using the sabot off the regular T/C SW (black sabot) bullet for my best accuracy.

Speaking of the black sabot from the T/C SW can these be purchased in bulk (the bottom of the sabot has the 3 concentric rings)?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

AZBear

The black TC sabot is a MMP HPH-24 sabot

www.mmpsabots.com

Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

What has really got to me is the cost to try all the different bullets and powders.

Me too. But if you just think of it as recreation, a good selection of bullets and powdercosts less than a round of golf at one of those spiffy clubs. Tried golf a time or two - would rather make smoke any day.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a whole lot better at this than golf any way!

Sabotloader thanks for the info...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

On the subject of Shockey, I'm no fool and don't get me wrong I know he is paid to be a good salesman, but he uses some pretty darn good products. Nosler bullets: been hard to beat since the sixties, TC muzzleloader: me like, APP: well maybe not the greatest black powder replacementbut it has some good points and if it shoots well in your gun it is very nice to deal with. Leupold optics: me like. Jim has put this combo of products to real world hunting tests that most of us will never see and if you can't tell I really like Jim. Jim's show is a class act, unlike most hunting TV shows that give us a bad name. I have a Pro-Hunter on the way and my set up will be: Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40, APP J.S. Gold powder, and a 300 grain Nosler PP... now with all this butt kissing, maybe Jim will invite me on one of those Whitetail hunts or Moose hunts...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

One more question on the sabots...are there many different manufacturers for sabots or is there just a small few? How do you tell who makes for a specific company? Don't mean to hijack the thread but it is bullet related sort of...

Quick Reply: Best Bullet for the Buck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.