Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The perfect combination

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default The perfect combination

I finally found my perfect combination. Here it is Triple 7 209 primers, 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, 195 grain barnes expander, Winchester x-150 .45 Cal. topped with a bushnell 1.74-4. This load shoots >3/4" all 5 shots inside the 1" dot at 100 yards. This bullet is also awesome on game.

Sorry bout the giant pictures.

Die Hard

2 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The perfect combination

Sounds like you're ready to hunt!
I've shot several deer with expanders, and every one hashas dropped in it's tracks.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Dominant Buck

That would be a very good load. It sounds like you're all set. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Fork Horn

My 209x45 ss Encore love them at 100 gr. fff 777 . Cloverleaf at 100 years .
Charlie
Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

I finally found my perfect combination. Here it is Triple 7 209 primers, 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, 195 grain barnes expander, Winchester x-150 .45 Cal. topped with a bushnell 1.74-4. This load shoots >3/4" all 5 shots inside the 1" dot at 100 yards. This bullet is also awesome on game.

Die Hard

Barnes are indeed excellent bullets and it sounds like you have your rifle 'dial-ed" in with an excellent load. Great. How long did it take to you get to that load? That bullet? What was your "progression"? Are you using the sabot supplied with the expander? I wish the Barnes TMZ shot well in my gun but they do not.Best wishes on the hunt.
Chap Gleason
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Die Hard

Barnes are indeed excellent bullets and it sounds like you have your rifle 'dial-ed" in with an excellent load. Great. How long did it take to you get to that load? That bullet? What was your "progression"? Are you using the sabot supplied with the expander? I wish the Barnes TMZ shot well in my gun but they do not.Best wishes on the hunt.
Chap Gleason
I have my ML for 3 years and I havent really found a great load before this one. I tried probably 10 bullets before barnes. I have been using shockwaves the last couple years and they shot pretty good about a little over 2" at 100. But I didnt like there on game performance. Yes I am using the supplied sabot.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

You gotta love it when it all comes together. Sounds like you've got a good load. I'm shooting the 250 gr. Barnes expander out of my Knight with 110 gr. of FFF triple seven. The groupshave run from1 1/8" to 1 1/2". I'm real anxious to see how that 250 gr. bullet does on deer size game.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my ML for 3 years and I havent really found a great load before this one. I tried probably 10 bullets before barnes. I have been using shockwaves the last couple years and they shot pretty good about a little over 2" at 100. But I didnt like there on game performance. Yes I am using the supplied sabot.
What was your experience with SW that you didn't like? Shoot thru with no expansion and therefore game getting away or running a long distance?
What 10 bullets did you try? I ask because I have tried 8 different bullets this year in my Savage:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

Chap Gleason
Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

You gotta love it when it all comes together. Sounds like you've got a good load. I'm shooting the 250 gr. Barnes expander out of my Knight with 110 gr. of FFF triple seven. The groupshave run from1 1/8" to 1 1/2". I'm real anxious to see how that 250 gr. bullet does on deer size game.
I think they will be awsome. Go to http://www.barnesbullets.com/and order the 2 free CD from Barnes, I wish the Barnes shot well in my gun. I tried two, the TMZ and the Knight Untimate Slam (same as the X bullet I believe). Both shot adequate, but not excellent.
chap Gleason
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

[/blockquote]

I think they will be awsome. Go to http://www.barnesbullets.com/and order the 2 free CD from Barnes, I wish the Barnes shot well in my gun. I tried two, the TMZ and the Knight Untimate Slam (same as the X bullet I believe). Both shot adequate, but not excellent.
chap Gleason

To date, these will be the lightest muzzleloader bullets I've used. Going on what I've heard about these bullets, I'm expecting good things. I'll hopefully get the chance to find out for myself sometime within the next several weeks.

Quick Reply: The perfect combination

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.