Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Super G SW

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Super G SW

Went to the range today tried the SGSW got a unbelieveable 6 inch group so I guess I add them to the wont shoot list for the Triump[the other one on that list is the 180gr 40 cal. Gold Dot].I was using 110gr RS for all loads today and shooting 100yds on the cleborne county range still trinh to use up the 777 209's.
Tried some crush ribs with some 250gr 45 cal Gold Dot they shot 1.3 inch group, not great but acceptable;tried an old favorite the 230 gr they grouped .75 for 3 shots. Tried some 10mm 200gr XTP 2.5 inches because of a flyer between the rain the humiditity and 88 degrees with a bit of a cross wind it was interesting, I think if it worked good today it should work good any time. My 230gr were XTP which I have been using in several guns for a long time,I noticed that Speer Gold Dot has a good looking 230 gr has any one been shooting them? Lee
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Super G SW

The Super Glide Shock Waves did not shoot as well as the standard Shockwave out of my Black Diamond XR. While the group was acceptable, the standards did a little better, and the difference in the cost for the ease of loading was not worth it, since the standard Shockwave does not load bad in the BD.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tried some crush ribs with some 250gr 45 cal Gold Dot they shot 1.3 inch group, not great but acceptable
Acceptable??? 100 yards - 1.3" ???

I guess it's a matter of prespective, but for me that group would make the "great" list any day. I most always shoot 5-shot groups and I've never shot a .75 100 yard group, so my standards may be a little lower.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane,I quit bench rest compitition when I had to start wearing glasses but I used to be a good shooter now I am over 70 wear trifocals and use scopes , and with an Omega or a Triump and a load it likes I canstill get an occasional one holer,so far I have only got one in the 9 targets I shot with this gun,I am still not sure which load to work with. The actuall measure ment with calipers was .680 center to center two were over lapped the other slid off a little. I will be glad when the scope I ordered gets here the old one I slapped on is only 1x4 power and not as clear as it could be.If you ever come into the area of Heber Springs AR look me up I might be able to show you a few ways to get the best out of your bench rest. Lee
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee, I just might have to make the trip to get "ed-u-ma-cated". I'm not a total klutz off the bench andcan get under an inch with a couple of my cartridge rifles (with scopes)if I get the breathing right - just never seem to get there with muzzle loaders.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane,There are a few commen problems that are associated with glasses or the highth of the bench or stool that are not hard to fix,there are also a couple of position problems that are commen,are you right or left handed and how tall? If you don't want to put such info here thene-mail me we might be able to find some answers with out to much trouble. Lee
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Spike

Heber Springs Ark......my grandparents use to live in Heber Springs, right on the lake...awesome place...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Lee, I'll be at the Hunting lease next week-end. I'll have one of the guys take a picture of me sitting at the bench and post it. Then you can critique my style for everyone's benefit. Heck, I'm not proud or shy.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Acceptable??? 100 yards - 1.3" ???

I agree wiht Semisane, 1.3" is excellent in most folks book, maybe not your. I see where you shot some .6 groups also, lets just say "your dialed in" fine. I had problems with the super glide also, they didn't shoot as well as the black sabot on the SW.
Chap Gleason