Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline breach plug - what do you do?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inline breach plug - what do you do?

Lately I have been using a some what similar method to Sabotloadder's but without the tape. I have been using automotive anti-seize for years and always backed off 1/8 turn from finger snug. Lately I have been using a Q-tip to coat the BP threads and then put a light coat on the front sealing surface of the BP. I then screw it in till it is finger snug without backing out. Using this method I have not had any problems with blowback into the threads and I only need the cross bar in the wrench for the first 1/8 to 1/4 turn and can then unscrew by hand the rest of the way, even after 20 to 30 rounds with 777 powder.

When I used the back off 1/8 turn method I could remove it in basically the same way but it seemed to have more of a crunchy feel to it during the first few turns, it seems smoother the new way. My guns do have a flat sealing surface so that may be part of the reason it works for me. I haven't tried the teflon tape yet but might give it a try to see if things stay a little cleaner.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inline breach plug - what do you do?

I either use a little nippleanti-seize or bore butter on the breech plug. I have never had it stick on me yet. I usually take it outwhen I clean my rifle after shooting. If it was left in for a long time maybe it would stick.