Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline breach plug - what do you do?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inline breach plug - what do you do?

I put on a layer of teflon tape, then paint it with grease, install it and back turn it 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
Can't vouch for breech plugs, but teflon tape and pipe joint compound used together works wonders on plumbing. I've been in the plumbing business for over twenty years now and for most of those years had an occassoinal leak using tape orpipe joint compoundalone. Someone told me about using both and I tried it. Not one leak since,using the combination of both! (and the tip only cost me $500.00 - I picked it up at the required annual"continuing education" class, about the only thing new I learned that year )

It makes sense it would work on a breech plug, too!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

COElkScout

Here are the pics that I suggested that I might take...

Both the Nipple and the Breech Plug were installed snug - so to compress the tape not tear it. Neither the nipple or the breech plug were lossened during the 36 shots. This setup was used in to different range times without removal.

One thing I did do was to spin the breech plug in a Scotch Bright pad to remove burrs and to dull the sharpness of the threads so they would not cut the tape.

Remember this works for me - for you or any others - work your way into this - last thing I want is a stuck breech plug.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader.. I really wanted your method to work and so I did as you instructed using the pink T/C breech plug tape. I put it in careful and snug. Shot about 25 rounds out of it, and we were stuck big time. I had to take the rifle into the shop, mount it in a vice and then with a short solid steel rod, tap the breech plug wrench as I turned it. Finally got the thing out, and no damage to the rifle. Why you have such good luck, I can not figure out.

I took the same rifle went back to the old method of white tape and then grease it, fired twenty rounds and turned it out with my fingers only. No cross rod was needed to get the breech plug wrench to turn. While I admit the breech plug grease is messy, its better the fighting that plug in the shop. I was a little worried actually. Glad I used a inexpensive rifle to test all of this with.

I shot my White today for a total of twenty five times and it too turned out. Although after 10 shots, I took the hammer out, wiped all that down, turned the breech plug back and fourth, and then put the rifle back together again.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:27 PM

I've had no luck with the pink tape or the white tape. It was a PITA to get the pink torn up tape out of the breech plug threads in the barrel. I use cva breech plug grease and its been great so far. I'll have to give that slick 50 a try too.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Just a little tip on breaking breech plugs~ instead of using the manufactures supplied breech plug wrench, use a standard socket w/ extension and ratchet. You get more leverage with the ratchet, and itsmuch sturdier then the supplied wrench. For T/C and Knight rifles, I believe they take a 7/16 socket (if my memory serves me right).

Just a little tip for those frustrating froze plugs............
Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave, the other day when I was in Sportsmans a guy cam in with his Black Diamond breech and was talking to the salesman about getting a #11 nipple for it. The salesman pick a #11 cap of the wall and handed it to him.... I told the guy that was the wrong nipple for a Black Diamond he needed the flame thrower nipple if he was going to try to start T7 pellets... well anyway I asked him to let me look at his breech plug... It really did not have a flat face on it, in fact it seemed sharp to me and I remember thinking I am not sure my method would work with the Black Diamond breech plug. It is way different than my Omega plug which does have the flat face. So I really do not know about a TC Black Diamond...

But, if you have a flat face nipple and flat faced ring on the rear of the barrel - it really should work. A TC tech is the first person that instructed me to make sure the two surfaces mated - then UC suggested the tape... I have been fortunate in that each on my inlines the system works well. I took me a long time to trust the White - but Doc said it would work...

Wish you were around the block instead of halfway across the US - I sure would like to try one of your inlines - except the BD...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Spike

automotive anti-seize and when your done a quick shot of spray bore scrubber takes it right off. It comes in a small can with a brush already and you dont even have to touch the stuff. I also use it for the nipple and clean out screws with my traditionals. I have never had one problem with it.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Good info, been useing TC's Gorilla Lube, but will give the teflon a try. Thanks sabot
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I'm at the range shooting I back mine out a few turns after 6-7 shots and screw it back in just to make sure it dosen't get stuck. When I'm done for the day I unscrew it and drop in a small jar with some alcohol and clean the barrel. Once home I clean the gun for storage, take the breech plug out of the jar, clean the grease off with some WD40 to cut the grease. Then I make sure the fire channel is clear, blow some air through it, coat it with the CVA anti seize stick and screw it back in. No problems so far. I would like to find some of that Slick 50 stuff. I'll have to search the auto parts store. Everyone say's Walmart has it but not the lame ones by me.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gxc.aspx That stuff and Slick50 ONE grease both work very well for me. The fit of the plug determines whether I add the teflon tape or just go with the grease. Looser plugs get both but very, very little grease on the forward threads over the tape wrap.

Quick Reply: Inline breach plug - what do you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.