Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why Cartridge Rifles Are Better Than Muzzle Loaders

Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Why Cartridge Rifles Are Better Than Muzzle Loaders

Didn't know that Dick Cheney hunted deer, too?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, DO NOT bring politics into this. The only political talk allowed is anyting dissing Hillary.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM

I remember seeing that vid a while back. Not sure, but it did look like he was hitting the same little area (in front of the deer) each time. And in the shooter's defense, I've had my scope get bumped and be off (I think it was 8" low at 50 yards). Now I'm anal about checking the scope.

Buck fever sucks, but it's usually worse if I have a lot of time to watch the animal. On quicker shots, I shake like crazy afterwards. It helps to focus on breathing slowly and trying to slow everything down.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Scope problems I have had too many of...

Many years ago.. back in the late sixties I purchased a used Remington Woodsmaster Carbine semi automatic 30-06 (It was all I could afford back then, and I still have the rifle today actually) and on it was a scope under the brand name Herters. I think they have something to do with Cabela's today actually but could not say for sure. Anyway, took the rifle to the range to sight it in. No matter what I did the rifle would not hold true. Was working day and night so time was not a good thing for me.

The rifle had no sights, so I could not even take the scope off. Deer season was a few days away when I sighted (tried)in. Had no time to waste because of other obligations, so I went hunting with it. Got to the deer camp the day before. Decided to double check the scope. Shot at a 50 yard target and the cross hairs fell over inside the scope. NowI was paniced. No place to go, nothing to do. So I reset the cross hairs to what I thought was center in the scope and the next day I was out in the wood hunting. I had no idea where this rifle was going to shoot. So I new I had to get close.

About 7:00 AM out walks this nice little five pointer about 80 yards away headed right too me. I just waited until it was about 20 yards away broadside, aimed, if you could call it that dead center on the shoulder, and fired. That deer jumped straight into the air and took off on a run shot dead center through the side (gut shot). Every time he hit the center of the scope glass that of course had no cross hairs again, I pulled the trigger. I ended up killing that deer. I hit him two of the five times I fired. Back at camp with my deer the guys were kidding me pretty bad. I was kind of hot headed back then and did not take kidding too well. So I sat down with a screw driver, took the scope mounts off, and then beat that scope to pieceswith a rock.

I saved a little money and put a Bushnell Banner 4X on that scope, and with that cheap scope shot more deer then I care to remember for the ten years or so. Then my nephew decided to do me a favor and "clean my rifles." He also unscrewed the back of my Bushnell scope. Well that fogged up big time. So I replaced it with a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 and the rifle still wears that Tasco scope today and I have never had to adjust that scope. Just for fun, I sent the Bushnell scope back to Bushnell and they fixed it for free. That's on my Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 rifle. Now that is my long range squirrel rifle.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great story cayugad. Two seasons ago one of the guys in our club had scope problems during the pre-season sight-in session with his muzzle loader. Fortunately, the gun had iron sights also. He took the scope off, placed it on a tree stump 20 yards from the shooting bench, and made a perfect shot with the iron sights - in the ocular lens and out the objective. Didn't do that scope any good at all. It still wouldn't work.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a small buck last year with the muzzleloader at about 15 yards - about an hour into opening day. I saw him from a good distance away and stalked right up to him. There was a strong wind and he was facing directly away from me. I suspect I could have walked right up to him because he never once turned around, but I took my time and actually got very nervous because of the long wait.

I actually got so nervous I didn't feel comfortable shooting offhand and used a tree as a rest. Fortunately this turned out to be a bang-flop situation, but I honestly think I might have missed if I had to shoot that one offhand.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Speaking of Buck Fever, I remember my Dad tell of one of his relates. They were hunting Deer and saw one, the buddy pulled up his Win 94 and proceeded to pump every round out onto the ground without pulling the trigger on a single shell. So with all the unfired shells now on the ground the buddy says "Dang, missed and I'm out of ammo" and he went back to the truck.