Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Seasoning Bore

Old 01-14-2003, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Seasoning Bore

Well, I worked the M/L bore with J-B's last night. 50 patches/passes with approximately 100 short fast strokes per pass. The bore shines like a mirror! I think I'm ready to start working up some saboted loads.

I ordered a couple of items for the sight-in process: Bench rest, pads, and an F-1 Chrony. I have some questions about bench rest shooting that I'll start on another thread.

I'd also placed an order with Precision Rifle during their Christmas sale. (.40 cal., 235 gr., Qt's -and- .45 cal., 360 grain, Keith Nose) 90% of my hunting will be done where the shots will be 100 yards or less, actually, MUCH less. HOWEVER, there are times when I could have wide open shooting to ranges beyond which, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting. I'm hoping to be able to work up two (2)loads that will allow one scope setting for both applications. I don't expect to shoot groups like I see on Herman's post, but, as close to that as I'm capable of.

If I ever do shot a group like Herman's at 100 yds., I'll need to start wearing "Depend's" to the shooting range <BIG GRIN>.

Thank you all, for all of the help! I truly appreciate it.

Chip DeLeeuw
Jonesville, MI.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:41 AM
tdf

Default RE: Seasoning Bore

I am fairly new to ML but with the new inlines today seasoning and breaking in are simply a waste of time. I have a new MagBolt 150 in .50 cal and in my first shooting session with 295 HP PowerBelts and 2 50 grain pellets I was shooting 1-2 inch groups at 50 yards and 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with a primitive bench rest. If you want accuracy then shoot, shoot and shoot some more with what you are going to hunt with. Just my 2 cents worth.