Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Measure my target

Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Measure my target

I know there is some disagreements on groups and size or measurements of groups.Not that it should make that much difference. I actually think a lot of this has to do with how people measure them and by what means.

First off this is not a "shot" group. This was made with the wonders of Paint Shop. But for kicks, I will have you measure that group and tell me how you read it.

Each square is 1" by 1" so that should make things a little easier for you. We are not interesting in exact measurement with a caliper, just your educated guess and then maybe explain to the group how you do measure the spread of a group...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measure my target

I measure just a touch over 1 1/4 inches...I measure from the center of each hole, between the two holes that are the fartherest apart...

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 PM

That is a 1 an 1/8" group. The two farthest shots being measured center to center. But the shots in that group are equadistant.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

I measure the outside distance between the two farthest holes and subtract the caliber size from the total.Harold
Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Looks like 1 3/16ths. It's hard to get an exact measurement since your picture scale isn't perfect. Measuring groups is done center to center.

I stole your pic for a slight graphic enhancement.

As you can see the red lines are center to center. Since it's hard to find the exact center of a hole the best way is to measure edge to edge. The green, blue, and purple lines show the measurements I'd take and the longest one is your group size. If you measure the approxamate center to center you'll see they are the same distance as the other color lines.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Heres how I do it...this is an autocad / photoshop mix

Holley

Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

to me if groups meant a lot, it would be 1 1/2 group... I'd take this from a ML @ 100 - but more importantly it would break my clay pigeons - 3 times...

Here is a pic of howI did/do it...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

INTERNATIONAL BENCHREST SHOOTERS
OFFICIAL RULES OF COMPETITION
E. GROUP MEASUREMENTS

1) Groups are to be measured by any method approved by the IBS in one thousands of an inch. The Sweany reticule rule or its equivalent will be the only official measuring device used at all registered matches. In
measuring groups fired with calibers for the caliber to be measured, the measurement shall be made from the extreme outside edges of the two widest bullet holes and the actual differential of the larger calibers shall be
subtracted from the measurement read on the Sweany Measuring Scale.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Holley

and the actual differential of the larger calibers shall be
subtracted from the measurement read on the Sweany Measuring Scale.
Did not know that part... but you, pi2,and oldrookie had it figured out - so in actuallity Dave's group would be considered a 1" inch group.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In technical terms:
"That thar is jest over an inch - good shootin pard"

Quick Reply: Measure my target

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.