Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloard for black bear

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader for black bear

ORIGINAL: brownhaired monarch

Thanks for the info. It willbe of lots of help...accually my 13 year old son is the one who has the kill tag for norther Wisconsin. He had a choic between a 243 short mag and a in-line 50 cal. omega muzzleloader with 348 grain bullets and a 100 grains of powder. I figured that this would work good for bear because when we use a muzzleloader for whitetails...it puts a nice hole in them...with 245 grain bullets.

Thanks again

Good luck to your son. What area did he draw?

I was wondering why you are using a powerbelt in the Omega instead of something like a 250 or 300 grain Shockwave with that 100 grains charge? My concern would be if your son should shoot too far into the shoulder he might need the ballistics quality of the Shockwave over the powerbelt. I have read a lot of horror stories of the powerbelt coming apart on tuff bone structures. But I have no personal experence to back that statement up.

I saw a photo of what a Shockwave did to a moose shoulder, and a bear has one spot to avoid, and that's in the shoulder.

Bear are moving around good right now. I have been seeing them more and more. Also the wolves are howling like mad at night. One must have been sitting under the bedroom window the other night. [:@]

Again, good luck to your son and you.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: muzzleloader for black bear

cayugad,i will look into the shockwave 250,any info will help. my sons tag is for area A. we have a cabin in the parkfalls area and that is the area we will be bear hunting. thanks.