Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight rifles

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Spike

Default Knight rifles

I read this forum everyday and I see how diverse everyones taste isin muzzleloaders. I reciently bought a Knight LRH and I love it. I would like to hear from people who own a Knight and what you like or dislike about it. Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Knight rifles

I bought a Knight Disc in '99 and I love it, I'll probably never have a need to buy another inline...At 100 yards it shoots one ragged group and at 150 it shoots about a 3 inch group...Good luck with yours, enjoy.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I own two Knight inline rifles, a Wolverine and a Disc. Both of them are extremely accurate, and easy to maintain. Actually for any kind of hunting I would encounter, both of them would do the job.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Disc Elite from a guy about a month ago that was never fired... after mounting a VXIII 3.5x10x40 I was able to sight this gun in the other day. After eight shots I was on the money... about two inches high at 100 yards. I'm shooting a 250 grain Knight Red Hot (Barnes MZ Expander) in the new EZ load sabot pushed by three 777 pellets... the last two shots were touching. I sent the trigger back to Knight to be set on three pounds which they do for free very nice C.S. The gun was a little worse to clean compared to my Omega and I did have a thin film on my scope which I didn't care for... It does feel like it aims a little better than the Omega,,, It's just a shame they don't make this gun anymore
Old 07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not understand all the bad press the Knight rifle's get. IMO it is all wrong. I have owned and still own a half dozen Knight's. I have also owned more than six TC's. They are both quality rifle's. It has been my experience that the Knight's will out shoot the TC's(over all). I can guarantee the Knight's have better trigger's. As far as cleaning is concerned-the TC may be slightly easier, but we are talking 60 seconds or less.

IMO the TC's far outsell the Knight for one reason. ADVERTISING. Just look in the gun magazines and the TV shows. When the Knight's came out in the mid 80's it revolutionized the MZ market. It took TC a long time to catch up. Now that they have caught up(in ability), I do not think they are going to give it back.

I know for a fact that the Omega's are unbelievably accurate. The couple Omega's I had would shoot as well or even better than my Knight's. The problem I had with those two Omega's was that it was impossible to get a second or third shot down the barrel without completely cleaning them. That was something I could not live with-so I got rid of them. I know there are people out there having the same problem with their Omega's. The other problem with the Omega's is with the trigger.

I also have several Encore's and I really like them. The first thing I had to do when I bought the action(I have 2 actions)was to send it off to get a trigger job. I no longer have MZ barrels for my Encore. I really like the centerfire options, but I could not get the MZ's to give up acceptable accuracy. I personallyknow of two barrels that were sent back to TC for accuracy problems. One of them was mine-the barrel was replaced.

I just purchased one of the Knight Long Range Hunter's. I will probably mount the scope this evening. I have heard it is a great shooter. I will find out next week. Tom.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

My first mz was a .45 caliber knight wolverine. Great shooting little rifle with an excellent trigger. My latest mz isone of the newKnight rolling blocks. I really like this rifle. Took it to the range for the first time last week and was shooting some very impressive 3 shot groups using a 250 gr. barnes expander and 110 gr. of 777. I can easily see this rifle being a potential 200 yard shooter. With thedrop outtrigger and action, clean up is a easy and quick. I have a feeling it's going to be in my gun safe for good long bit.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redline002

I read this forum everyday and I see how diverse everyones taste isin muzzleloaders. I reciently bought a Knight LRH and I love it. I would like to hear from people who own a Knight and what you like or dislike about it. Thanks
I have Knight Origonal Disc and used it as my only ML for about 4 years, before I bought an Omega. I got aheavy 9pt with the gun one AM, and several lesser bucks and does. The reason I got the Omega is my son talked about getting one and he reads all the MLand Rifle magazine and said it was a great rifle, easy to clean and accurate as heck, so I bought one because I could, really no other reason. I put a much better scope on it than I had on my Knight Disc, so the TC Omega became my primary rifle. However I like the bolt of the Disc and I like the way it shoots and the way it works with the Disc. I took the scope of it this year and itis going to be my 0 to 50 yard open sight gun, myOmega is ging to be my 50 to 100 gun and my Savage 10ML with smokeless and a ballistic tip bullet is going to be my 100 to 200 gun. Plan on shooting Nosler Partitions this year in theDisc and Omega with about 100g of loose 777 and a crushed rib sabot and Federal 209a primer. I get a crud ring in the Omega and i don't the the Knight. I like the feel of theDisc. I have thought of giving it to akid who loves hunting in the area, and I may do that, since there is a young man who loves hunting anjust earned an Eagle Scout rank in our church. He would be worthy of the gun. I believe Knight makes an excellent rifle, their stock is much better than the Omega plastic one and the Omega is much better than the plastic Savage stock. The Savage is much more accurate than the Omega and it is about the same as the Knight. I believe I could shoot further with the Knight. I would buy a Knight again, I believe they lost Market share because the kept with the old bolt design and didn't pay attention to market forces for accuracy and ease of cleaning, as TC did.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your replies.I owned a CVA Optima Pro prior to buying my knight LHR this year. I got 2 nice eight points with the CVA in the last 2 years,but not with out alot of range time and money spent finding out what combination that gun would shoot. With my Knight and an afternoon at the range my gun printed one ragged hole at 100 yards. The trigger is wonderful and even at 8 lbs.the gun balances well and is easy to shoulder. I considered the .52 caliber but due to the limited bullet selection I bought the .50, however, I wouldn't mind owning one. I believe Knight might have a good Idea here,but without the advertising and media testing it will probably remain a sleeper. I have shot several TC's and they too are great rifles with alot of goodfeatures,but I love my Knight and I'll probably own another someday.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redline002

Thanks everyone for your replies.I owned a CVA Optima Pro prior to buying my knight LHR this year. I got 2 nice eight points with the CVA in the last 2 years,but not with out alot of range time and money spent finding out what combination that gun would shoot. With my Knight and an afternoon at the range my gun printed one ragged hole at 100 yards. The trigger is wonderful and even at 8 lbs.the gun balances well and is easy to shoulder. I considered the .52 caliber but due to the limited bullet selection I bought the .50, however, I wouldn't mind owning one. I believe Knight might have a good Idea here,but without the advertising and media testing it will probably remain a sleeper. I have shot several TC's and they too are great rifles with alot of goodfeatures,but I love my Knight and I'll probably own another someday.
That is NOT unusual to have to buy several bullets and experiment with loads and powder type. Usually the Manual recommends a bullet and a load, it is wise to shoot that FIRST to make sure the gun prints accurately to manufacturer specs, then experiment around with the bullet type you want to use. No doubt Knight makes a good product. Chap Gleason