Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Last week I had casted up a couple hundred 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals among other projectiles. I wanted to have a supply on had to try out of different rifles. I then realized I had never shot them out of my White.

So today at the range I had my White Ultra Mag .504 with a 1X power Thompson Center scope. For a target, I duct taped a 6" Styrofoam plate. Then in the 4" center of the plate put a piece of red duct tape. All this makes for cheap targets as I buy the plates at the dollar store and the duct tape at a thrift store.

I was using an old brass powder measure which I thought was set at 70 grains of Swiss 3f, but later learned it was set at 80 grains. I started the shoot with a clean barrel only dry patched to remove anything in there other then the Birchwood Casey Sheath.

Loading a REAL, it hit high and left. After that the White laid the next four in a line a little high and to the right. I then swabbed the rifle clean. Then not thinking, I loaded another REAL and shot. Again, the rifle shot high and to the left. So I patched the barrel and this time loaded a .5045 diameter 500 grain BullShop conical. With the 80 grains of Swiss 3f it shot a little high and still a little left. I then made a few clicks to the scope and shot the rest of the top row of Bull Shop conicals into the lower area of the bull. I have no idea how many I shot off.

I then decided to shoot for fun. So I set fist size granite rocks up in the trap, and had a number of pre measured/weighed powder loads of Triple Se7en and Goex 3f in tubes. So I would then load and shoot 320 REALs as fast as I could load and shoot.

A REAL conical will dust a rock. Pretty cool actually. With the 1X scope that pie plate is just covered in the cross hairs. So it makes a nice 50 yard aim point.

I used to shoot white tail with the 320 grain REAL conical. I know for a fact 80 grains of Swiss 3f and a REAL will clean a white tail's clock. So I have a cheap hunting load as well as a plinking load to play with...

Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Well, I'm impressed with that group you got with the REAL 320s.

I have the mold for the REAL250s and they shoot pretty well ifI use a fiber wad.

Been wanting to try 320s, so I ordered a hundred from Black Jack Hill around the end of April. Still waiting. If they shoot as well as what you're getting, I'll be ordering a mold.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I've got both molds. The smaller ones shoot real good out of traditional 1:48 twists. The bigger 320 grain shoot well out of my inlines. My CVA Staghorn shoots them real well. I want to see what happens at 100 yards shooting them.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 320 grain REALs weight about 325-326 out of my mould, but I like them in my T/C NewEnglander. Not quite as good as you're getting (I'm using a peep & f/o front sight), but plenty good enough to deer hunt with. The NewEnglander likes them on top of 80 grains ffg Goex.
Still haven't had a chance to try then out of the Lyman Mustang with wads under them, but will definately try them out before hunting season!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

The weight around 327-328 grains out of my mold. I wonder if the company bases their weights on something other then pure lead? This holds true for the 405 grain .458 that I cast. They come out 428 grains.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I posted a target with the 250 REALs over 100 grains Pyrodexout of my Mustang back in June.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2156595&mpage=1&key=&#216098 4

OK, but not great. The thing is, my Mustang shoots 300 grain sabbotted bullets better than 250 grainers. That's why I'm thinking it might shoot the 320 REALsbetter than the 250s.

Although, I must admit, I haven't played around enough yetwith different charges under the 250s.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, interesting post - as usual. Yep, most moulds are rated using #2 Lyman alloy rather than pure.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Dave, interesting post - as usual. Yep, most moulds are rated using #2 Lyman alloy rather than pure.
That explains it then.. they base it on a mix. I always wondered why. Although my roundballs come out almost what the mold claims they will be, so they must base them on pure lead.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Nice job Dave! Can't wait to start casting bullets my self. Just patiently waiting for my mold to arrive.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

C-dad ... I have been thinking about that mold too. I will have to get a sizer, since my understanding is they will come out around .5050 diameter or bigger. Need to get me a caliper too. One of them digital ones since I never could figure out them wheel/dial ones.

I was thinking of ordering all of that and working it out to .5045 since it comes as a .501. Actually I want to get a couple of them and actually size some to .501 and see how they shoot out of my Knight and Black Diamond. If they are too loose, then I will take them out to .502 and try again.

I really know nothing about sizing bullets, so I am currently reading as much information as I can find about it. I want to see what I will be dealing with.

I had a chance to shoot those .5045 Bull Shop. I am kind of thinking from now on I will have Dan make all of mine that diameter. They still load easy enough, and they are a little more secure in the barrel and the accuracy was excellent with them. Have you had a chance to shoot some of that diameter? If so, what were your thoughts?

Quick Reply: 320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.