Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Default RE: 320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Dave, I am in the same boat with the sizer. When I order them, will probably get 2 or 3 of them at .5050 and go from there.

Sabotloader has about 100 .503 460 Bullshops for me to try in the Lightning. Hopefully he is heading this direction on Friday and I can get them from him then. I'm sure they will shoot fine, but maybe like the .504's in the U-M, a little bit too much of a slip fit.

I too like the .5045s in the U-M and that is what my last couple orders have been. They load very easy, but engrave a little better and I just feel more comfortable with them staying on the powder. Especially since my 15 y.o. carries one while we are hunting.

I THINK Dan uses the same sizer for sizing to .5040 and .5045, but am not positive. Seems like he runs it through the sizer once and it comes out to .5045 and twice to take it down to .5040.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Today was hot out... 88ºs actually. But I wanted to shoot anyway. So I took out my Renegade with the Green Mountain Barrel with 1:28 twist in Stainless Steel. The rifle has no scope but I do want to put a 1X on the barrel in the very near future.

I have shot the 200 grain Hornady XTP out of it before and it did real well, but I wanted to see just how hard I could push them little devils. I intend on shooting a deer with them this year if at all possible. So I started out with 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and the rifle actually did real well. I had more problems because of the CCI standard caps I was using. I would hate to think how many mis fires and hang fires I had today with them. I finally went and broke out my stash of RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 and the problem disappeared.

I aimed low to begin with thinking these little XTPs would really sail high but surprising, they still shot right on the top of the front bead. The shots circled in black are the .503 460 grain Bull Shop conicals. I was shooting 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and NO wad. The accuracy was outstanding for the most part. I slipped a few out of the group at the end, but the rifle was really getting dirty.

Then I broke out some soda cans (as hot as it was ... had to have a cold one) and was pushing them around the trap with the different conicals and XTPs. Overall I was real pleased with the rifle and the way it shot. Now I want to get back to 100 yards and see what it will do with them.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM

I know jealousy is a sin, but I just can't help but to have a little toward you retired guys. [&o]

Sounds like a good time again Dave. Hey, have you tried to buy any of the RWS caps lately? I have a stash that will last me for quite awhile, but I would definitely buy more if they are getting scarce.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

I know jealousy is a sin, but I just can't help but to have a little toward you retired guys. [&o]

Sounds like a good time again Dave. Hey, have you tried to buy any of the RWS caps lately? I have a stash that will last me for quite awhile, but I would definitely buy more if they are getting scarce.
The next time I order another case of substitute powders, I will pick up another 2000 (maybe getmore then that) of the RWS 1075. They can send them in the same box as the subsititue powder (at least they did last time)without an additional hazmat fee. Although they will not send them with black powder or I would have gotten some last week when I got my case of that. I got 2000 of them last year and am down to 200 now. So it is getting close.

As for those [:@] CCI standard, the White will shoot them fine, but none of my traditional rifles like them at all...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Us retired guys sure are troubled by those who aren't but remember we are old an don't have to long left so we have to enjoy and educate the younger people it is our duty to the sport right dave
Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

your only as old as you feel... although some mornings I feel a lot older then other mornings..
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Good shooting Cayugad. I wonder if the RWS caps are cut a little differently. I've gone through a tin of CCI regulars, a tin of magnums and just started on RWS with this new to me Cabelas sidelock and have yet to have a misfire. The hammer on this gun is driven by a coil spring and is both fast and strong. After all the problems I had with the CVA I really think the strength of impact is the primary factor in misfires. I do notice that when I dry fire an RWS I see major sparks which I do not with either of the CCI caps.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

What happened was, I purchased 2000 caps. 1000 of them were RWS and I thought I clicked on 1000CCI Magnum caps but when every thing arrived, it was CCI standard caps. So I have been shooting them off. They do work in my White Ultra Mag real well for some reason, but certain sidelocks will give me fits getting them to fire consistantly.

Next order will be only the RWS Dynamite Noble 1075+ caps. IMO there is no better cap on the market.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Dave, Those RWS are great provided they fit, on my U-M no.1
they are too small, on the other Whites the are fine.
In U-M no.1 I have to really push/align them to get them on staight and completely forward. Its a little scary playing with a primer on a loaded rifle.
Redclub
Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Redclub - Well the RWS can be a problem in some rifles. I am lucky, that I do not have any problems like that.

Quick Reply: 320 gr R.E.A.L. conicals in a White

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.