Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade/GMB shooting well

Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Renegade/GMB shooting well

Got a chance to try out the new Green mountain barrel on my renegade some more this weekend. The hangfires were basically nonexistent: about 3 in 30 shots, and I assume it was something I did wrong.Iwas swabbing between each shot with isopropyl alcohol, then a dry patch. Was using CCI magnum #11s. None of those were long enough to change the POI at 50 yards more than a couple of inches. When I hunt, I always put a coupleof grains under the nipple, andhave never had a misfire/hangfire.

Tried it at 80, 90 and 100 gr of loose 777 ffg shooting a 370 grain T/C maxiballs with a rear Williams peep and front fiberoptic bead. The barrel really seem to like 80 grains. At 50 yards, 80 grgave me consisent 1 to 1-1/2 inch groups, 90 gr gave me 1-1/2 to 2" and 100 grains gave me about 3" groups. Guess I will be using 80 grains for my elk hunt this year. From everything I have leared here and elsewhere, 80 grains (92 grains BP equivalent) should be more than adequate out to 100 yards, my self imposed limit. With a slip on Sims recoil pad and 80 grains, you hardly even feel the recoil, which helps my accuracy too.

Bugling bulls here I come! Come on September
Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Renegade/GMB shooting well

Are you going to be hunting southern colorado?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not this year. I got an invite to a ranch near Glenwood Springs. Not a big ranch, but there are always some above average bulls there. I always say that I will hold out for a really good one, but the last 3 years I have not brought backany elk meat, so I may not be so picky. Regardless, I can always count on hearing bugling bulls! Not always the case on public. Always makes for a more exciting hunt.

Did just make a trip to SW Coloradothough over the week of the 4th, and it was lush and green in thehighcountry. Did some scouting for future hunts there. Hopefully some new country Ifound will turn out to be some public land honey holes in the future.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

I have been very fortunate with my GMB - no hang fires or mis-fires... My patches are really just barely moist, almost like a spit patch. I squeeze all the moisture out I can get out before they are inserted in the barrel, and to be honest I really very seldomdry patch after the damp patch. I do not use the alcohol mixture, I use windex, which has nothing to do with the problem just a personal preference. I prepare my range patches several days ahead of time soak them in windex then with thumb pressure on the pile force as much windex back out as I can. Then I put them in a sealed container and use them as I need them. Hunting I revert back to the old fashioned spit patch....

One thing that has helped me is I have switched to T7-3f, it is so fine I know that I can get powder out under the nipple without inserting it out under the nipple. On really cold mornings or hunts, I will measure out a load then drop about 5/10 grains of powder in the muzzle - then tap it out under the nipple - then the rest of the charge goes in. If you pour it all in at once it tends to compact itself and it is difficult to move out under the nipple.

Tried it at 80, 90 and 100 gr of loose 777 ffg shooting a 370 grain T/C maxiballs
With the GM barrel I am shooting 90 grains of T7-3f and a .503 - 460 grain Bullshop slip fit conical. You can startit down with you thumb then it is is an easy puch with the ram rod. I do drop back to 80 grains with the Renegade and a a true TC barrel. I do also use a .125 X .510shot card under the projectile and on top of the powder.

Here is an old target from when I first started shooting the GM barrel - the barrel has been switched over now into a Renegade stock which I do like better...

Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe T7 was designed for use with 209 shotgun primers, it is the hardest of subs to ignite[it requires the highest temp.]; I for one don't need any hang fire or misfires when hunting so I only use it in the inlines and since I have a problem with "crud ring" not a lot even then, there are a lot of good powders to chose from why fight it. Lee
Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

With this barrel, I was getting hangfires with pyrodex as often as 777.

You had to do it didn't you Sabot..... go and give me another combo to think about. May try the fffg.

However, I feel really comfortable with dropping a few grains in under the nipple after I load. As I said, always works for me and I have never had a hangfire after doing that. I suspect that I will continue to do it even if I found a combo that never gave me a hangfire at the range.

I am going to try your trick about bumping the barrel after 10-15 grains instead of after the full load too. Makes sense.

As far as why I like 777: I always foul my barrel before I load it, then leave it loaded for up to a week on a hunt. I worry a lot less with 777 than pyrodex/BPwhen it comes tocorrosion and it is slightlyeasier to clean. Also, I shot last night, just did a field cleaning, then waited until today to give it a thorugh cleaning. Never felt comfortable doing that with pyrodex.

As far as bullets, I tried 460 no excuses, great plains 410, and buffalo bullets 385. The T/C maxiballs have flown the best and they have a good track record on big game, so I feel comfortable with the combo. Will have to try some others someday, but I just want to perfect the load before I go this year, so will probably stick with the maxiballs.

Boy it is great to be shooting the renegade again!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:15 PM

I couldnt get t7 or pyrodex rs to go off in my deer creek. Once i put on a drilled out nipple, i never had another hang fire. Ive now put a Spit fire SS nipple on and its been great ever since then. CCI magnum #11's have also been a big help.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

I was wondering if a 1-28 GM barrel would stabilize the TC/Lyman maxi-ball and it appears it does nicely.I have a .54 Renegade with a GM 1-70 twist ball barrel and I've been looking to replace the factory pitted 1-48 barrel with a .54 GM 1-28 for conicles.Should work as well.I want to cast my own and not buy factory projectiles.I think GM recommends 400gr-500gr conicals in this twist.Anyone else played with home made conicles in this barrel? You were shooting a .50 I think? Harold
Old 07-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, 50 caliber. I think the T/C maxiballs for the 54 are 430 grain. And look at the post on the KB7, since it has a GM 1-28 barrel.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

I believe T7 was designed for use with 209 shotgun primers
Not necessarily so.... I shoot T7 all the time with #11 mag Caps, actually the Dynamit Nobel 1075+ caps really seem to be the best for me. Do not really get a crud ring with caps - can get it with 209's though.

[it requires the highest temp.
You are correct - but there a lot of people shooting with caps....

Quick Reply: Renegade/GMB shooting well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.