Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade/GMB shooting well

Old 07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Renegade/GMB shooting well

txhunter58

You had to do it didn't you Sabot..... go and give me another combo to think about. May try the fffg.
You will like it - it burns much quicker and cleaner than 2f - really doesn't boost your velocity that much as once people thought, but it is accurate.

If you get the 3f and try it... just for curiosity sake if you know everything is dry in the brrech pour in a little bit with the barrel tilted so the first few grains are directed under the nipple - then tap the side of the stock down by the lock - load your projectile. Then level the gun and take the nipple out - see if you have powder out there.

As far as why I like 777: I always foul my barrel before I load it, then leave it loaded for up to a week on a hunt. I worry a lot less with 777
Same here a load may be in the gun for a month - no big deal for me. Even after shooting it I do strip clean the gun until after hunting season, unless for some reason I would get it absolutely wet. After shooting during the season I will run a couple of windex patches to get the bulk of the crud out, a couple of dry patches and very ligthly coated Slip 2000 lubricant patch.. then another clean white dry patch.

The T/C maxiballs have flown the best and they have a good track record on big game,
Certainly use to hear a lot about the good deeds the maxi's use to do so can not argue that one...

The only reason I went Bullshop is because of the higher BC giving it a little better flight characteristics. And then there was Cayugad touting how hard they hit his trap down range.... they do carry a ton of energy.

I have a little competition with myself @ 75 to 125 yards with them. I put out clay pigeons at various distances and angles and pick them off with the GM barrel. I figure if I can consistently hit them shooting the kill zone of an elk or a deer is not going to be a problem. It is a great confidence builder.

It is just to darn hot to shoot here... + plus I am working way to much for an old retired guy.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 PM

I have some 54 cal.540 gr. maxi hunters that TC doesn't sell anymore.My 54 GM 1/70 twist will group them into about 3 1/2 inches off the bench at 100 with 100 grs of 777.I have a 50 cal.CVA Mountain rifle from 1977 thats 1/66 andI shoot 370 gr. maxi-balls in it.Civil War Springfields were 1/72 they shot 500 gr. minnie's with 60 grs. of 3F.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

I'd never thought you'd get anthing but patterns with conicals and the 1-70 twist? Harold
Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 PM

I wanna hear more about that CVA mountain rifle.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM

The lock gave up again last fall.The tumbler brokefor about the third time.The sear has broken four times,the mainspring broke once.I may get a L&R lock for it.The rifle shoots pretty good,I used 70 grs. of 3F GOEXwith roundballs and 80 grs.of 3Fwith 370 gr. maxi-balls.Its an early one with a douglas barrel.I got it new 30 years ago.I bought three locks for parts over the years and got parts from CVA the first time it broke.I probably ain't shot it over 5 or 6 hundred times because some piece inthe lock breaks.I have a 45 cal.TC Hawken that I got back then too.It's been shot countless times with out any problems.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM

My great uncle,My grand mothers brother,had several original muzzleloaders.Mostly Civil War springfields,I thinkone of the others was a Gemmer.I didn't know what that was back then.He gave me a 1861 Springfeild in 1959 or 60that the barrel had been sawed off at some point to 28 inches.It had a 1 in 72 inch twist.They let me shoot it with roundballs to practice and 500 gr. minnie's to hunt with.It shot either as good as I could hold it,30 grs. or so with roundballs,70 or so with bullets.That gun disappeared while I was in the Marine Corps.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Denis, a lock from a traditions percussion rifle will fit the mountain rifles stock. I also had the same problem with my lock and i bought replacement parts from a place where i could look at the parts myself before buying them. Thanks for the load info, i just bought a .54 mountain rifle flintlock and will give that load a try once i finish the rifle.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloader, I can make it work most of the time to,I just don't want to have a hang fire when I have that 14 point buck I have been chaseing for two years in front of me. If anything can go wrong thats when it will happened. Lee