Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

soon to be new shooter

Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM

Default soon to be new shooter

I was wondering who the main players are in BP rifles and if there are some links to the guns you guys think are worthwhile.
I am looking to spend $300-$400 on a gun to shoot deer mostly, but also bear from time to time.

Thanks in advance.
Warren
Old 07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: soon to be new shooter

Any of the .50 caliber rifles loaded with 100 grains of powder or better with a quality projectile will harvest all the deer and bear you want to butcher. It all boils down to working up the right projectile and then getting it done in the woods. For instance, I hunt with a conical shooting rifle. I shoot 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and a 500 grain conical in my White Ultra Mag. I would take that against any deer, bear, hog, even elk and moose if I had to. It is all a matter of putting that conical in the rifle place.

The major players for a quality rifle will get you a lot of answers. Thompson Center Omega, Triumph, and Omega X7 & Z5 depending on what you want to spend. Knight makes some excellent rifles and there are new ones on the market that show a lot of promise as well. Chris W is testing the new Knight Rolling block and it seems to show a lot of promise. On the auction sites there are a lot of quality rifles for the $300.00 range. BPI/CVA makes some rifles thata lot of the forum members have excellent luck with. NEF makes a rifle called the Sidekick which we have used in shotguns for years. They are H&R style. Very reasonable in price, and good out of the box accuracy.

Be sure you know the current State laws concerning muzzleloaders, ignition systems, optics, and projectiles. This will also help make the right decision for you.

In the Traditional market, there is Thompson Center, Lyman, Pedersolli, CVA, and Traditions. All of them, with a simple roundball will harvest deer if you get within the range of the rifle and projectile which I put at 100 yards with practice.

Welcome to a sport that you will find very addictive. They are a lot of fun and a good challenge to the hunter. The best thing you can do is Google some of these company web sites, look at their rifles, see what appeals to you. Then get out to some sporting goods and handle them. See which rifle fits you and your budget. Remember, the cost of the rifle is just the beginning. You then have powder, projectiles and lots of other accessories.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Default RE: soon to be new shooter

good info.
thanks a bunch.
I'm sure I'll have a series of questions in the near future.