Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some questions from the other end of the spectrum

Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Some questions from the other end of the spectrum

Has anyone shot the savage smokeless muzzleloader? Are their any smokeless muzzleloaders other than savages? Do some states not allow smokeless muzzleloaders to be used during muzzleloader season? Or are their any other special regulations on them?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Some questions from the other end of the spectrum

i wouldnt exactly call it a muzzleloader. I think of it as a single shot centerfire.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

The Savage muzzleloader is not the only one. There are some other models out there, but they tend to be expensive. As for regulations, be sure and check the area you want to hunt, and the laws of that State as some do not allow "smokeless powder." Also some do not allow certain ignition systems on muzzleloaders.

From all I have read, the Savage is a great muzzleloader. They are very well made, accurate, and well tested. While some like to compare the Savage to a center fire, I can assure you it is a muzzleloader. It loads likeone, the only difference is the brand of powder. If we judge a rifle solely on powder, could not a true black powder shooter then claim that for example, a Winchester Apex is not a true muzzleloader because the shooters uses Triple Se7en, or Black Mag3.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com/html/index.html

Bad Bull Muzzleloaders are smokeless...
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looked at the Bad Bull site. Gotta laugh. How many good quality and fun muzzleloaders could you buy for $3,200? Gotta cry. I don't have that kind of dough...[&o]
Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Speciality companies are just that. They cater to a small market share and rely on quality and the promise of a better product to get clients. If money was not the question, it would be fine to have such a rifle. But for now, I'd rather play with a large selection of other rifles then one rifle...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

Has anyone shot the savage smokeless muzzleloader? Are their any smokeless muzzleloaders other than savages? Do some states not allow smokeless muzzleloaders to be used during muzzleloader season? Or are their any other special regulations on them?
I believe Savage is the only one still being made (except for the specialty makers, who produce a few very expensive products). There was at least one other company that made or was going to make a smokeless ML, but I don't know if they ever did.

There are states which don't permit smokeless powder, but the Savage can be used with BP or a BP substitute as well as smokeless. For example, Colorado doesn't permit sabots, so the Savage could not be used there with smokeless, since smokeless requires the use of a sabot......
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM

colorado also doesnt allow smokeless powder during muzzleloading season
Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

I just bought one on May 1, 2007. My journey on shooting it in with proper Smokeless load is here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

Yes, like Bad Bull. Do some states not allow them? Yes, but some do. I hunt in Va and NY, and they both do now or it was clarified to allow smokeless powder. Special regulations on them? Varies by state. Some consider them a ML, some don't. I bought mine because it is more accurate and shoots flatter. It is NOT a CF rifle, you don't use cases, you use 209 shot shell primers, the same as an inline. Only difference is the Savage shoots higher pressure smokeless powder and the other MLs shoot BP substitute, which makes smoke, but is little difference except power. For a comparison of Smokeless vs BP see this:

http://www.randywakeman.com/ballltd120.htm

I intend to hunt both ML and rifle season with the Smokeless Savage. It is a great rifle for $550. I like mine, very accurate, and very little recoil with 44g of 5744 using 300g bullets. A really great board for Savage facts is:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

There are a lot of guys on that board who know a lot more about them than I do. Regards, Chap Gleason
Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM

In addition to the advantages pointed out by Chap Gleason, the other advantages of the Savage MLII are:1) less cleaning, both while shooting and after shooting. Most shoot better without cleaning between shots. No need to clean after a day of hunting unless the bore got wet. 2) No need to shoot or unload after a day of hunting-just remove the primer. Just don't bring the weapon in from the cold so that condensation can occur. 3) No cloud of smoke to obscure the reaction of the game animal to the shot. 4) This gun is a tack-driver when you find the right load-MOA or less.

Quick Reply: Some questions from the other end of the spectrum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.