Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New rifle came in!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Default New rifle came in!

I just checked the mail today and i had a package and it was the new CVA .54cal Mountain Rifle! I took it out of the box and showed the post master, got it all put together and he was shocked at the bore size lol. The rifle is in great shape too! Nothing wrong with the stock or anything. The browning job is ugly as is the stock stain. The wood is beautiful under there but the stain was just slopped on thick and ugly. Im going to start with the lock and trigger and get those all cleaned up and then go ahead and remove the browning off the barrel and tang. Im very happy with the rifle so far. It has one of those crappy flints on it and doesnt spark, so i will see what i can find in my flint box. If its the frizzen, no biggy because i have a spare from my traditions lock. Cant wait to start on this rifle, this looks to be one nice rifle under all that browning and ugly stain.
Will also fix that ridge that the previous owner didnt take down.

My new possibles bag should also be in by tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New rifle came in!

Don't know gander, that forearm looks kinda short and the barrel sure looks thin.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Alright! The frizzen is perfect and sparks great. Once i put a good flint on, oiled the frizzen spring the pan was covered in white sparks. The 4f also went off in an instant.

And Its got a 1" barrel, Not that wussy 3/4" barrel Semisane [8D]
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK, I yield. Guess I'm just jealous. I've never owned a flinter and am getting a hankering for one.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Go look for one! lol. I picked this one up for $175 Shipped. They are a lot of fun! Now im REALLY screwed this hunting season, i originally wanted to use my deer creek .45 sidelock, but now that this one came in, My mind is starting to think i should use the .54 flinter! lol. Thats one bad thing about muzzleloaders, Theres so many out there that catch your eye, you go broke from buying them!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a beautiful rifle. A friend of mine got me started on a CVA Mountain Rifle in .58 caliber. It was a great shooter and gave him a lot of service. When I asked him what happened to it, he said the stock cracked being the tang and it was not safe to shoot so he sold it to a fellow for a wall hanger...

The old CVA rifles were really accurate. I am sure you are going to love that rifle.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Im sure i will. When i got it and tried the frizzen, it would barely spark and the frizzen wouldnt open all the way. Just a little oil on the frizzen spring, a new flint wrapped in lead and it now showers sparks into the pan. I cant wait to shoot it! Cayugad, do you think a .530 ball and a .015 patch will work ok? Im not sure if i should order .015 or .018 patching.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go look for one! lol. I picked this one up for $175 Shipped.
Where the heck did you find a deal like that? Where do you suggest I look?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

I also got my deer creek .45 mountain rifle off that website for $175 that was brand new in box. I just had to build the kit and the end result was a great shooting rifle. I hope this .54 turns out to be the same. Im also going to a rendezvous july 28-29th, so if you'd like, i may beable to find you something in the $150-200 price range. Last year there was a cabelas traditional hawken .50 flintlock for $150, i should have picked it up for that price.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Im sure i will. When i got it and tried the frizzen, it would barely spark and the frizzen wouldnt open all the way. Just a little oil on the frizzen spring, a new flint wrapped in lead and it now showers sparks into the pan. I cant wait to shoot it! Cayugad, do you think a .530 ball and a .015 patch will work ok? Im not sure if i should order .015 or .018 patching.
Yes, I thinka .530 ball and .015 patch on about 90 grains of Goex will really surprise you with the accuracy.... The .535 might fit too tight. Although Lyman seems to like a bigger roundball.

Quick Reply: New rifle came in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.