Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New rifle came in!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Default RE: New rifle came in!

I think that's the first 'browned' rifle I've seen. Scrub that crap off and make it deep, rich blue!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM

I think im going to strip the barrel, lock and funiture and leave it in the white. I heard something about using Navel jelly to turn it bright "white"??
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful rifle, nice purchase...just like Christmas morning I suppose.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

I just checked the mail today and i had a package and it was the new CVA .54cal Mountain Rifle! I took it out of the box and showed the post master, got it all put together and he was shocked at the bore size lol. The rifle is in great shape too! Nothing wrong with the stock or anything. The browning job is ugly as is the stock stain. The wood is beautiful under there but the stain was just slopped on thick and ugly. Im going to start with the lock and trigger and get those all cleaned up and then go ahead and remove the browning off the barrel and tang. Im very happy with the rifle so far. It has one of those crappy flints on it and doesnt spark, so i will see what i can find in my flint box. If its the frizzen, no biggy because i have a spare from my traditions lock. Cant wait to start on this rifle, this looks to be one nice rifle under all that browning and ugly stain.
Will also fix that ridge that the previous owner didnt take down.

My new possibles bag should also be in by tomorrow.

I can see that being a pretty beautiful gun once you do some work on it FG. It will be beautiful. I hope it is an accuracte shotter for you. Chap
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM

Well, They almost look like twins. Browning is almost off the barrel, got a new bottle on the way right now. So far everything is coming off nicely. Still deciding what kind of finish i will do on the steel parts. But, untill the new bottle of blue and rust off gets here, im going out to cut an elk anter and make a new priming horn for the flintlock

Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM

How much allowance does a 23 y.o. receive anyway?

Oh sorry, prolly none of my business.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:02 PM

No allowance. Ive always been good at buying things and selling them for a good profit. Im parting out a 71 buick skylark and a 53 ford mainline at the moment and its selling parts like hot cakes. Have to deliver the motor to some guy in august[>:] i hate pulling those stubborn engines. All my toys i buy myself[8D]
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frontier...One of my hunting buddies happens to have that gun in percussion...Bought it to me in bad shape...I worked up a load...80 grains FFF Goex, .530 ball and .015 Ox-Yoke patch, lubed with SnoSeal...His gun didn't like anything over 80 grains...I shoot a .54 and roll my own balls, if you need 15 or so let me know and I'll send you that many with .010, 015 and .018 patches, that way you can see which it likes...
Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the offer NC, I just picked up a box of .530 balls and some TC prelubed .015 patches. Next time im in Colorado Springs, i'll pick up my powder. Got the gun apart right now with the blue/rust remover soaking on the parts so, i'll be kept pretty busy for a while. I made a new Priming Horn, whatcha guys think? I had to use a Mule deer antler, i couldnt find my elk antlers. I'll make the elk antler primer tomorrow once i find the antlers

Old 07-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Thanks for the offer NC, I just picked up a box of .530 balls and some TC prelubed .015 patches. Next time im in Colorado Springs, i'll pick up my powder. Got the gun apart right now with the blue/rust remover soaking on the parts so, i'll be kept pretty busy for a while. I made a new Priming Horn, whatcha guys think? I had to use a Mule deer antler, i couldnt find my elk antlers. I'll make the elk antler primer tomorrow once i find the antlers
Nice, now you need ear rings to go with your knecklace!!
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: New rifle came in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.