Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shooting in the heat

Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM

Default shooting in the heat

Who all is shooting in the heat out there? We been in the 90s here in Indiana and most Hoosiers are not used to this stuff. Been kind of slow going to the range here. I don't want to make any scope adjustments etc right now. How much does heat and humity make a difference. When deer season starts, we will see 60-70s and no humidity at least during archery.

The southern boys are probably laughing at 90 degree temps.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting in the heat

I don't notice any big differences, just let the barrel cool more, put it in the shade and don't take more than 2 shots at a time, wait 10-15 minutes...During this time, I just slow down and take more guns so they can cool...I also shoot muzzleloader more during this time, because I clean the barrel between shots the barrel has a chance to cool down more...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ironically two of my MLs shoot BETTER in the summer than in the winter... I think like stated above just let themcool longer than you would in cooler temps.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot no matter what the weather. When it is real hot, like already said.. take two or three rifles and shoot them off is stages. This gives the others time to cool. Also I swab right after I shoot and then as the rifle cools, I know any suspect moisture will go away as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Went shooting today here. Had a lot of old Clean Shot pellets to shoot up.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

we pray for 90 degrees here, it would be a nice cool down for us. over the last couple weeks we've been around 98-99 degrees with 100% humidity (which is normal). the heat index rates us around 110-115 degrees.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

we pray for 90 degrees here, it would be a nice cool down for us. over the last couple weeks we've been around 98-99 degrees with 100% humidity (which is normal). the heat index rates us around 110-115 degrees.
CamoCop....god bless you man. You Floridians are a differrent breed. My folks are staying with us right now and live in Florida. He goes for a walk in his sweat suit because our mornings are upper 70s and "cold".

Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

We got down to43.6ºs last night and it finally broke 70 today around noon. Now that's my kind of weather. I figured it would be a good day to cast ball and conical so I did not shoot (yet) and cased up a couple hundred 50 caliber, and .54 in two different sizes, and a bunch of REAL conicals in two sizes. Now I should be good for another month....