Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Traditions

I am looking at purchasing my first smoke pole and I was looking at a Traditions Pursuit XLT break open. I was wondering if any body could give me some feed back on the goods and bads of this gun and what the general over all thoughts are of Traditions?????
Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions

I own a number of Tradition sidelockrifles. All of them are good shooters. I did buy a Tradition's inline many years ago, but sent it back to the store because it was not very well made. I think that the money you would be spending on the XLT model would make a good rifle, but I personally would add a few more dollars and look at a Knight or Thompson Center. This is just my preference for inlines.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 PM

i handled an XLT some months back and loved the rifle. Smooth trigger and the stock handled great. I'd go for it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like gander, I handled an XLT when I was shopping for an in-line last February. The one I played with in the gun shop had a great trigger and came to my sholder beautifully. I liked the gun but got scared off by forum reports of "poor quality" on some of the Traditions models. Kinda wish I had bought that sucker now.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

I own way too many inlines all being Traditions of course and they all shoot well.Customer service is great and when I order parts they come in a resonable timeframe. The earlier inlines as cayugad said were not made that great but since then they have been doing a better job. The XLT is a great looking gun and well made in my opinion. The camoed thumbhole is a beauty. Another great gun is the Optima line from CVA which is also a break open, I think that has a thumbhole also. Or look at the New England break open another excellent gun all in the same neighborhood on prices. Good luck and handle as many guns as you can before you decide, its tough but fun.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20815&rid=&indexId=cat20815&navActi on=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&paren tType=index&parentId=cat20815&id=0040408

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20815&rid=&indexId=cat20815&navActi on=push&masterpathid=&navCount=3&paren tType=index&parentId=cat20815&id=0027231

Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son and I both have that rifle. I cast my own minnie balls and use 85-90 gr. of pyrodex for the Pursuit. Consistant 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I know they aren't the most expensive and or fanciest ML's out there but they are good shooters. We are both happy with our Traditions.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM

I also like the XLT camo a lot. It is a nice gun. I would really like to spend some time with one on the range, but can only invest in one rifle this summer. It is between the XLT and whatever I hear about the Knight KRB7 Rolling Block.

I shyed away from the NEF because the darn thing requires primer holders. Just another expense and something else to carry and make sure you have with you... like we need more to HAVE to have with us when we shoot MLs.

I heard one report of the XLT not shooting anything accurate with higher powder charges... over 90 grains. But I believe this was mainly shooting powerbelts and saboted bullets. The guy did not try lead conicals (350 grain+) with less charge. It sounded like he wanted to get the most possible and it was not accurate. But I think most rifles are not accurate with higher powder weights... most grains over 100 are a waste I hear anyway. But that's just what I hear.

If you get it, give a report. I'd be really curious how it shot a 350 grain Great Plains or a custom bullet in the 75-90 grain range.

COElkScout
Old 07-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I own the Traditions Yukon model, Has been very reliable. Shoots very accurate with 100g Pyro and 285 sabot. It is worth every cent I paid. Not expensive which made me worry when I bought it, Haven't regret buying it.